1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When did you decide to go bass guitar only?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fireglide93, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I migrated from upright over to electric bass. I never was a guitarist. :cautious:

2. It would be my one and only, but I also like to play keys once in awhile...

3. AFRO

AFRO

Aug 29, 2010
    I was 14/15 and my buddies were in a cover band with Guitar, Vocals (my best bud) and Drummer playing 90s tunes like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Green Day, RHCP, STP etc. the Bass player left the instrument at the practice space (guitar player's basement) so I got to practice a bit with it while I was hanging and they were jamming. The guitar player showed me the rudiments of the string and frets, a crash course of sorts. They let me borrow it a couple times, but the Bass owner got mad when my few weeks of work was starting to out class him. so he took it back. and I said "Eff it" and bought one for my damn self -Fender P- and a tiny amp. I had no musical knowledge at all (though all my sisters played piano, or clarinet) and I am still swimming the stream to this day, but my chops are far superior now. Now all I play is my LTD 5er.

I took some theory classes about 10 years later and sprinkled in a few lessons, but I felt like I was already doing the things he was trying to teach me (besides reading music) anyhow so I just continued on my own path.

Besides some drumming (don't have my own set or anything) and some Keys (just for theory really, I would never play out on drums/keys) Its the only instrument I have ever really played.

the rest as they say is history.
    :bassist:

4. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    When I was 15. Never played guitar or drums or anything else. I do also play steel drums but haven't in years.