Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did you have your epiphany

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sirnoahthepure, Nov 4, 2005.

1. sirnoahthepure

sirnoahthepure

Oct 2, 2005
    Okay so today I was looking at my bass method book which i have been stumbling through. I was once again not finding the groove and even though I was following the correct beats on my meternome it felt mechanical and awkward

Until then

It happend all of a sudden I just had that one particular section down completely. In my excitement I continued to play it again and again and again

But then

It went back to the same way once I moved on again to a new section of the piece of music.

I am really trying to learn the right way. Before I bought my bass about 3 weeks ago I had done alot of research. Saved up and bought the right equitment, did ear training on the web, tried to learn how to read music. I practice as little as an hour a day but on my days off of work and college maybe 4 or 5 hours. I have an instructor that I have been to once but will go again in another week.

What I am curious is how long did it take you to reach that synchronization with your bass that I have on just that one little lick.

By the way I am not assuming it is the same for everyone, and I know for sure that nothing will replace practice and hard work, I just would like a reference point so I know if I am progressing at the right speed or If I am musically illiterate.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bah, you're fine. When you get a moment like that, you just have to realize that even if you can't get it back at that moment, at least they're not out of the question. You'll get more and more moments like that now. Then they'll stop for a while. Then you'll learn something new and get a few more. Rinse. Repeat.

3. What you are exhibiting is normal. This is how I overcome it. Look over the music and note the parts that give you trouble. Write the trouble parts down on music paper in order (as you see it written in the sheet music) and practice only those parts till you can execute easily.
    Now play the preceding rythmn line and fill in the part. (do this for all parts)

Put it all together. You will notice that you now have memorized most of the score. You could probably play the lines with your eyes clsoed.

Now try to groove.

4. Believe it or not that happens to everyone. I actually talked to a friend of mine that played with Ike and Tina back in the day and he said that there were a couple of times were he reached such a stale plateau that he put his bass down for nearly a year and then started over with a fresh outlook. It's all part of the process. Understand that going in and you'll be a lot better off. :bassist:

5. i played double bass some time before i played BG, and it took me years- literally- before i really GOT how to play in a way that sounded like ME not just the notes. seriously, i started feeling really confident about my playing after about 4 years probably, so after 3 weeks i'd say you're doing pretty good man!

6. I didn't ever have that epiphany on the bass, since it's not my first instrument, but it definitely took me a few years. I started playing the horn in fifth grade (~11 years old, I think), and didn't feel like I was really making music until at least four or five years later. The good news is that if you decide to take up more instruments later you don't have to relearn that. It may take some time to learn technique and become comfortable with the instrument, but you start out making music.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You me we only get one each?! ;)

For me, the most recent one came in the form a of a compliment from a tutor of mine, a very skilled jazz drummer. The fact that he, a vastly more skilled and experienced musician than I, felt the groove the way I did helped me realise that I wasn't imagining it to be better than it was. When I felt the band was swinging, it really was swinging! :)

I find these moments creep up on you, you suddenly realise you're playing something you couldnt play before. It's a great feeling!

8. One thing that really helps (in my experience) is jamming with bands and other musicians. The only reason I even still play bass is because of my high school jazz band. An hour of jamming with other musicians 5 days a week can really get your groove on. But the first time I played with them, they had to take me off of bass and put someone else on. I've found that regular practice with other musicians kinda speeds up the groove-finding part of playing(however the technical aspect gets less attention).

9. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah, it's normal. From time to time, you'll just wake up one day, start playing, and realize - something will click in your mind - that you are better than the day before.

I don't think one ever stops to learn and improve on an instrument. Even when one is physically a great technician with no barriers to speak of, things just become clearer over time and your mind begins to process things much easier.

I have never stopped for a whole year, lol... that's kind of crazy. I think the most is one week. Maybe two.

From time to time, everyone will get stuck. People who try to play through that can get in trouble. Develop bad habits. Get frustrated. Better to leave the instrument alone for a few days, then come back when you're just itching to play and everything sounds fresh again!

Actually, I had a very badly sprained wrist recently where I couldn't do anything - anything... not just play bass - for 2 months. First two days of my "comeback" were kind of shaky, but on day three I was as good as ever. If not better. Occasional rest is GOOD, people.

10. +1

Just with a drummer you learn what you can and can't do. Things that sound good at home are a mess and things that sound bad alone, sound great with a little guitar.

You learn when to step out into the spotlight and when to hold down the chaos.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    for me it was when i got my new amp. everyone says that better gear doesnt make you a better player but for me it did. stuff that i couldnt play before i had a better time with, and stuff that i couldnt play i learned to play.

weird

12. for me it was good storng year and a half before I really got into playing, and realizing bass isnt supposed to double as a rthym guitar. Even know I the "epiphany" moments of oh I can do this and really get into the groove. For me it really helped to get into a band that was "serious". The main group of us (drums,guitar and me) pretty much all started at the same time and we have been playing together for almost 5 years and we are now at the point were we can predict we each others changes are going to be and its great for jamming and coming up with new stuff. Most of us can take each others riff's put a little spiff on them and come up with a catchy lines really quick. And me and the drummer really play off each others accents and it makes life for me very fun. sorry for the long post, but I think getting with a group of musicians really lets you know what you know and what you really need to work on.

13. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've never really felt that. I haven't had any of those "light bulb moments" and I've never been stunned by a track, like so many people say. Still, I'm only two years in. I'm going to try a completely free jam tomorrow with my drummer, so maybe something good will come out of that.

14. ThunderBassist

ThunderBassist

Nov 23, 2005
    Mine was learning New Born by Muse. not particularly hard, but once i cud play it, i realised tht this was the only instrument i wanted to play. i try to practice at least half an hour a day, but it can range from half an hour 2 seven!! BASS ROCKS