Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When did you start bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lozenger, Feb 27, 2003.

1. 5 or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 9

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. 10

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. 11

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. 12

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  9. 13

17 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. 14

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
  11. 15

19 vote(s)
    15.7%
  12. 16

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  13. 17

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  14. 18

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. 19 or more

32 vote(s)
    26.4%
  1. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    How old were you when you started playing bass?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was 31 when I started. That was 6 years ago.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I guess it was "a bass."

It was a detuned Sears Silvertone guitar without the B & E strings and nails I drove into the peghead so I could angle the strings and detune it to the bass notes.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I started at 13...
    Im 34 now...

Wow... 21 years!! Has it been that long??

First bass was a Peavey Patriot LOL!!!!! Now I've just put in an order for a Conklin 8 string!! My how times change!!!

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I started at age 26 - that's been one of my favorite things about this site, before I came here I thought people started playing music in there teens or not at all. It's good to know that there is nothing strange about starting out when your an adult. That is actually the age bracket that I'm most interested in hearing about. Maybe you could modify your poll so we can see what goes on in the 19+ catagory?

6. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I started a little less than three years ago. I was 36. It's never too late.

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I started at 23, and only because my band couldn't find a bass player in our area.

8. Started at 17 really.....glad I started now rather than later in case I couldnt be bothered..or before I got tied down with kids and a job etc.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I started taking guitar lessons after I got my first guitar on my 7th birthday. That was 40 years ago. I switched to bass sometime in my teens.

10. blackbass

blackbass Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Started playing bass in 1969. My first bass was a Teisco FB-1 my Mom ordered from the Speigel catalog. I'm lefthanded so I had to change the strings around.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Started at age 17, been playing for 26 years, currently age 29. ;)

12. LizzardTom

LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    I was 10. The year 1972. You do the math. My first bass was a violin shaped Silvertone with an Epiphone amp.;)

13. I started when I was 13. I'm 15 now. It's been about 2 and a half years now, and of course, I still suck.

14. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I started when i was 9, my dad gave me a Peavey fury on and a peavey Scorpio combo on my birthday, march 16 1988, it's been almost 15 years and i still have my old bass.

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I started right before my 13th birthday. I am now 14 years and 2 months old. Started out with some Jay Turdser P bass copy. I'm already on my third bass! (Ibanez BTB405QMBB)

16. I was 16

17. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    i was 16, now I am 19 and everything is changed. I want to go on to see how much my way of seeing music will change in the years!!!!

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It was 3 weeks before my 18th's b-day and I bought a bass on a whim with graduation money :D. One of the smartest things I ever did. I can only think of about 5 days I haven't picked up my bass for awhile since that day, and 3 of them were on vacation :).

19. I was 18; I'm 19 now. I played (and still play) some horns for years, and I wanted to learn bass but was always busy with the other stuff. My freshman year of college I decided I needed to make it happen, so I withdrew some money I had for years (I was a boring and somewhat thrifty kid) and turned cash into a used MIM Fender J and a nasty sounding little Ibanez amp. If I can get better and maybe play with more people more often, I'll be able to justify buying some nicer gear.

20. I started at 13 as well... for me that was in 1966. I traded $100 and an ElectroVoice 664 for the '57 Fender Precision that I still have - my first "real" bass.