Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

when did you start playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by John K., Dec 9, 2001.

1. how long have is been since you picked up the bass, folks? what age did you decide "hmm... sounds fun... i'll give it a shot"?

2. I started to play double bass when I was maybe ten. I played classical music for six years.
    When I was twelve i started to play electric bass. Since I only played reading score (I don't really know what you call it. What I mean is looking at a lined paper with dots on;)) I never realy learnt to improvise. I was totaly stuck in the avista playing...
    When I was sixteen I finally started taking lessons and learnd to play without the score.

3. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I got my first bass 3 months ago. It was a 14th birthday present, the best birthday present I've ever gotten. So i was 13 when i said "hmm.. looks fun...i'll give it a shot", and 14 when i did.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    1977, 24 years ago! at the age 0f 14

5. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Picked it up when i was in 8th grade because of me then hero claypool, technique and speed was EVERYTHING! Then one day i found out the bloody thing had notes on it and i havent put it down since.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was 12, I started on drums because our church needed a drummer. A few months later, my best friend, who was a 10 year old bass player quit coming, so I switched to bass.

That was almost 23 years ago.:eek:

7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I started on Upright when I was 12, I picked up bass guitar when I was 14. I'm 16 now and wishing I had an upright also...

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Started playing Bass in 1995 at age 28.

9. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i started in february...and i love it :D

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1978. And then again just about two years ago at the age of 37, after almost twenty years without playing.

11. 1972? Maybe 1973. I was 15 then. Picked it up again fairly recently after a 19 year break.

allan

12. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I started when I was 13. I'm 14 now. It'll have been a year in 2 weeks.

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    1984 at the swinging age of 14. It's now a lifelong condition...

14. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I started over the summer in July at 33 yrs of age...:cool:

15. Feb 21st 1987, around 4 o'clock.

16. I was born Yesterday, fell off the Turnip truck...
    and started playing bass.

17. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    It'll be one year on December 25th

I had been wanting it for close to 6 months and my parents finally broke down and got me my fender p-bass. I'm still in love. :)

oh yeah and I'm 17.

18. End of 2000. That's when I picked it up again, after 'hanging it up' in 1987. I started playing as a teen in 1973 (or thereabouts). Slowed down while in my 20's, then picked it up again in 1982 - '87, when we had our 1st child and everything came to a standstill (as far as bass was concerned).

19. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i started in may of my fourth grade year .... im in 9th now .... uh ... almost 5 years now. woo! almost five years!!!

started at age 10