1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When Did You Start Playing & Why

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 14, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    We have done this before, however I think every likes to hear about when people started playing and more important what made you want to play bass guitar in a Rock & Roll band.

Anyone want to share their story?

Blue

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    My cousin and I started playing guitar when I was 13 and he was 15. After a couple of years, he was much better than I was and the band we started needed a bass player more than 2 guitar players and a keyboardist, so I sold my guitar and bought a PV lawsuit era P bass and an SVT 350/8X10 stack. I've been playing bass ever since (I'm 45 now) and wish I never sold that Pbass and SVT.

Of course like many cover bands we broke up many, many years ago. My cousin went to Berkley College of Music and now lives in California and writes and records music for Disney.

I have no regrets. I love playing and buiding basses as well as playing in, managing and promoting my 2 bands in Tucson, AZ.

Cheers.

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I've come to enjoy your threads blue. :)

I started playing when my oldest brother gave me his Washburn P-style bass and a mix tape when I was in seventh grade. He was living in New York at the time and the tape was a mix of Black Flag, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Specials, and oddness like Terry Waldo's 'I Got Stoned and I Missed It' and The Beatles' 'Her Majesty'. It introduced me to punk rock and I taught myself how to play bass by playing along to that tape and the various punk rock records I bought afterwards. I was in my first band with some classmates within a year, playing Clapton, REM, and Van Morrison covers. A year later I started playing hardcore with some guys who were attending Ohio State and I've been playing originals ever since.

I'm pretty sure that bass and that tape completely changed the trajectory of my life. Prior to that I was much more into the visual arts, drawing and painting. Afterwards it was all about music. I don't think our mother has completely forgiven him yet. :p

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    For me, I was around 9 or 10 and didn’t have much going on, I think I was a Boy Scout and I wasn’t into it. I was living in Southern Spain in the early 60s.

My Dad purchased 3 albums for me Beatles, Beach Boys and Manfred Man. My eyes opened to the world and I had a sense of direction for the first time in my life. I listened to the lyrics and bought into being cool, self-expression, freedom and hearing about a place I thought I belonged to. Through Rock & Roll I became pretty confident in myself.

My appreciation for Rock advanced and by the time I was back in the states. I was in the 6th grade and I met up with a* guy who wanted to play guitar. I was already a huge McCartney fan so I suggested I would learn bass. We started my fist band. We were serious and started taking lessons, we felt like adults.

I’m 60 years old still gigging and will be doing to 4 hour bar gigs this weekend.

*We still talk music and the band biz on a weekly basis.

blue

5. antho57

antho57

Mar 11, 2013
    I was the youngest of 5 brothers( I was 13 at the time).They were all musicians in a band before I started to play.Actually wanted to be a drummer,but they needed a bass-player. I didn't really have a choice.They didnt think I really had any musical ability and they felt that the bass was the easiest instrument to learn. They would turn my amp way down during practice and make fun of me. It only made me practice harder and in the end I went a lot further in music than any of them.Was getting phone calls from recording groups and did some tours with them. I still do play and enjoy playing but I have mellowed out a bit
    and prefer a family lifestyle. But nothing will ever take away the love I have for the instrument and music in general...There was once a baseball player by the name of Manny Mota.Very successful and came to be one of the most famed and successful hitters in MLB. At the end of his career while receiving an award I remember his quote in broken english "Baseball had been very very good to me" . For me Bass-playing has been very very good to me. For any of you reading this and are thinking bass guitar is easy, nothing is easy if you want to be great at it.Practice hard and it will take you where you want to go. Even if only for a little while.

6. 16 because I knew so many guitarists and bass interested me.

funny enough I've never played with any of the guitarists I knew from Highschool

7. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    I started playing bass guitar when I was 13 years old in 1968. The guys who I grew up with were ALL guitar players and nobody wanted to play the bass. So I decided to take it up thinking that there is only 1 bass player in bands so I wouldn't have to worry about competition.

I had always been a fan of the Beatles and rhythm & blues music and growing up in the 1960's, a person was exposed to a lot of music. After playing (semi-pro) for almost 40 years, I must say that playing bass has been one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. I still dig it and while I also play acoustic guitar, playing bass is very fulfilling and has afforded me the chance to meet so many great musicians.

And the most important reason? Chicks dig bass players and well......I better not say as this is a family website......

8. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    I started playing bass at around 14 or 15.

A buddy and I started working on some tunes using his "pre-Windows" Amiga (tell you how long ago?) and we needed a bass. My Strat, his Ibanez, and the amazing 2 track drum machine on his computer was missing some low end. So I bought my first bass rig.

I started with a Squier II P-bass (No pickguard, black and maple) going into a Crate B80XL. To me Steve Harris was the man, along with a dose of Cliff Burton a few years later.

Wonder if I should hit up Fleabay and see if I can find another one of those basses. :meh:

9. First played bass in 1988 and bought a bass in 1992.

Hearing the bass intro to Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh made me want to play bass. My buddy had a Rogue and I'd play it at his house and it was fun, but it took some time to actually get around to buying one.

Once '92 hit, I was into really into Megadeth - Rust in Peace. That album consumed me for some reason. Funny because I'm not much of a Megadeth fan, otherwise. Anyway it kind of formed my musical start, so to say. I was into other stuff as well. Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Rage Against the Machine, and still had the classic rock/hippy music influence from my parents.

Anyway, that's it. Raised on 60s & early 70s country/rock, grew up on metal, and grew into punk rock. That's kind of my story. I still prefer metal to punk rock, but they're both fun. Not sure how into playing hippy music I'd be. Widespread Panic is a hell of a lot different than Neil Young and Bob Dylan.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Awesome time period and we got to see how everything evolved from still a pretty early period of rock history.

Blue

11. I came to the party late in life compared to most of you.

Growing up, my father was a drummer in a long running cover band and worked as a union musician for a period of time. I was always enthralled when I would see him play, but didn't get to spend a lot of time with him because they would typically play Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights plus there were always weddings on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. My mother was a well trained pianist and an excellent musician in her own right. I started in the school band as a kid playing saxophone, which I did into my teen years. In my teens I took piano lessons from my mother and really wasn't half bad. But, I never played in any typical school rock bands because I was too nervous and scared to get up on stage, even though I had a lot of offers to play keyboard, one in particular was a jazz fusion band that idolized Pat Metheny. My 20's came, I got married, kids, a real job, a mortgage, etc.... and for years my interest in music disappeared.

When I got into my early 30's, I decided I wanted to learn to play a guitar. I wasn't sure about whether or not I wanted to play bass or guitar, but I chose guitar. No expectation of anything other than strumming chords by the campfire and singing some songs. My first guitar instructor was a good guy, and taught me a lot, helped with my whole foundation in theory and playing. He would sometimes give me short bass lessons if I asked, too. As time went by, I found I really enjoyed playing bass a lot more than guitar (I still play guitar regularly, though). Eventually, I switched over to playing primarily bass and it was recommended that I find a new instructor who was more competent in bass technique.

Soooo....I moved on to a new teacher. After more years of bass lessons, he flat out told me that I needed to get into a band as a bassist. I had played a couple of times with a local band as a fill-in rhythm guitarist, but never anything regular and I certainly wasn't as good as their regular guy. I was still thinking that I wasn't good enough to play live, but he disagreed. I went out and looked for a band to play with....

First, a hard rock band. Lasted a couple weeks. Then, a blues band that I tried to start and it burned up as fast as it was set up. Third time was a charm, I got the gig with the band I currently play with.

The first time I played for an audience at a "real" venue, I was 38 years old.

And I instantly was hooked and wondered why I had waited so long.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Those Squiers are still out there just got one for $65.00 :smug:

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I asked my parents for a guitar for Christmas when I was like 11-12 yrs old. There was a music teacher who would bring his in and teach simple stuff on it to us. You had to have a guitar and stay after school to get the lessions. I got the cheap acoustic alright but never could do the lessions since we had only one car and Dad was only working back then mid 70's.

I finally got a decent no name F-hole electric when I was about 15 and started jamming with friends. We sucked but had a blast and played thru high school for any dummies who would put up with us. I never got that good but was decent.

I sold off all my gear at 22 to get married bass,guitar amps ,keys.
    I bought an old acoustic in my 30's but rarely played it. I was faced with a divorce at almost 39 and said when it was going on that it was time for me and I wanted to play in a real band.
    I went out bought a bass and amp and started wood sheding. I always loved bass and their look and sound so I said...why not! 6 months after I bought my first bass and allot of practice I was standing on a stage at a club playing to chicks dancing at a St. Pat's day gig. That is coming up next week so it will be going on 12 years I have been playing bass and on a stage at least once monthly.
    I will never be a great player or flashy one and to me it's all about keepin it down, simple and holding the groove..that makes me still makes me happy today.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Great story, I got divorced at age 39 too. That was my first divorce, divorced again at 50.

blue

15. I started play acoustic guitar in 1975 when I was 13. My sister got married and left a p.o.c. Decca and a book called Big 76 if i recall correctly. We lived way out in the sticks and had noone to play with or teach me but I kept at it. We finally moved when I was 16 starting my senior year in a new town. Another sister was dating a bass player in a local band and I bugged the living crap out of that guy until he showed me a few things. So about 2 weeks into my senior year I'm driving home from school and I hear music coming from a garage. So i stopped to listen for awhile. Some guys come out that I had seen at school and invite me in to listen. A few minutes later the bass player had to leave. They asked if I could play bass and I said not really but I'd like to try. The rest is history I've been playing bass every since and love it now more than I ever have.

16. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    My then 16 year old son bought a cheap bass and combo amp thinking he was going to play in some type screamo beat down band. He played for about two weeks.
    At age 50 I picked up his cheapo bass and started tooling around with it....fast forward 5 years, I have a decent rig and I'm now playing in several hobby bands around town, probably never going to make a dime at it, but it's the most fun I've had with my pants on it a long time. :cool:

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    My story is simple and ubiquitous enough. Like a million other kids I sat in my parents living room one Sunday night in February of 1964 to watch Ed Sullivan Show and out come these 4 crazy dudes playing and singing with such joy and freshness that I had never heard before. I instantly decided I wanted to do what they were doing. Shortly there after my older brother suggested I play bass. Not know what he was talking about he pulled out one of his albums and played this ( )for me and instantly decided I wanted to be a bass player.

18. loogy1

loogy1

Feb 23, 2013
    richmond, va
    My dad had try to show me guitar when i was younger and i just wasn't felling it. My dad(guitar) and uncle(bass) were in a band (both very talented musicians on guitar piano) and I noticed my uncles "Guitar" only had 4 strings and he wasn't using a pick. He explained to me what a Bass was and i hate to say this but i thought it might be easier.(i know it's sooooo cliche) They played some Social D, Violent Femmes, and too much more to really remember or list.
    I was turned off by the fact that most of the songs i learned were just playing one note, backing up the guitar and really simple.Needless to say as a young kid i got bored quick.

Never really thought about playing untill years later when i was over a friends house. He was watching a concert on dvd and as i watched i couldnt help but notice the leadsinger was playing bass and that he was playing some of the craziest **** i had ever seen

so i say "Hey is that guy playing a Bass?"

That was about 3 years ago maybe four hard to say.

to which he replied "Ya Dude. that's Les Claypool. He's the ****."

Eversince I've been hooked :bassist:

That was about 3 years ago maybe 4. Hard to say

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    You know its weird but when I was kid whenever I heard a record the most prominent sound to my ears was always bass.

20. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I was thinking about taking up an instrument. A friend of mine said "I'm learning guitar; you should learn bass and we'll form a band." I said, "Okay." That's about it. (We never formed a band, though ... )