1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When do I change the tube in my Valvedrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The pedal isn't functioning and the mute button isn't on.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The valve will last many, many years. Odds are there's something else wrong.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    More details, perhaps? Lemz - let us know what you've tried to do so far. Does it bypass? Is it plugged in? If it shares a supply with another pedal, is the other pedal working? What happened before it failed? Etc.

For all we know, it could just be the adapter not working, or something fried, or aliens. :meh:

4. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I about to give it another run in a few minutes. It does bypass, but when I hit the pedal to engage it pops. No shared supply it has it's own 12v which was completely plugged in. It has gone in and out of this 2 times before and do I though the tube might be going. Thanks guys

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    While tubes can and do go bad sometimes, far more often a solder joint somewhere connecting to it (or to the power jack) will go bad. If it was the tube, I don't think it would work and then cut out and then work and then cut out. That, to me, says bad solder joint.

6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    While I'm a HUGE fan of this pedal (& frankly, cannot live without it), the footswitches are prone to premature failure. I doubt it is the tube - but it never hurts to have an extra around! Preamp tubes are pretty inexpensive & you may find a tube you like better than the stock Setlana - I did.

I took my Valve Drive apart & cleaned out the switches with a healthy dose of pot cleaner - which did cure the occasional loud "pop" I was experiencing. Something you may want to try if you're experienced with electronics - there are potentially dangerous capacitors inside!!!! Since cleaning out the footswitches, my Valve Drive has been 100% reliable, but for some reason the yellow "vintage" led mode doesn't light - it goes from red to off.... :meh:

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That would drive me crazy, since mine's always on yellow.

8. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Yeah- it's a little bit annoying, I'm really picky about my gear functioning 100%! I would ship it off for repair except that:
    -It still sounds perfect
    -I love & use the pedal so much, I'm unwilling to play without it for a few weeks!!!

At least the "Modern" setting still glows red so I know where I am, but I wish EBS switches were more reliable! My uber-old Octabass switch failed completely so I replaced it with a better one, but the Valve Drive switches are sort of proprietary & soldered to a board so I can't fix it myself! Aaaarrggh:scowl:

Love this pedal though..... I can't say enough about the tone!

9. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    problem solved

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Spill it!

11. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Yeah... how?

Let us know!

12. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's embarrassing.....input/output plug in wrong
    Thanks for your help guys and sorry bout my mistake.

13. The amount of time I do that is embarassing. Must be something like 80%. And most of the time I think to myself " Right, I was going to plug it in that way instinctively, so if I switch that round it must be right." And then it turns out wrong. :meh:

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A happy, funny ending.