1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When do you become concerned about the condition of the tires on your vehicle

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    A friend has a Honda CR-V with the OEM tires. They’re for highway use, not “all terrain”. He drives the CR-V on backwoods forest roads all the time. Dirt, or gravel. We’re talking 50 miles on those roads for each trip.

Highway tires have tight tread that grabs gravel and holds onto it. Do enough driving on gravel and those tires will be loaded with trapped gravel. If you just leave it, some of it can become deeply embedded in the tire casing. It takes needle nose pliers or a “dental tool” to get it out. If you do pull out the embedded gravel, you’re left with a big pit in the casing.

In the past month they’ve had a flat tire, and two other tires with low pressure. They take the car to Les Schwab and all they get is a vague diagnosis like “small leak” or “topped off the pressure”.

To me those diagnoses are ridiculous. Tires do not suddenly lose pressure or go flat for no reason. I’ve suggested strongly that he periodically dig out the trapped gravel, but that’s scoffed at. I suggested maybe he needs all terrain tires that don’t suck up gravel, but that’s also scoffed at. The tires have 50% tread remaining so why throw away money on new tires.

I guess my point is Why would you ignore the fact that you’re obviously using the wrong tires for your driving, the tires are telling you they’re wrong, and you’re too cheap to get the correct tires for your driving even though you can EASILY afford them.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    He's putting his family in danger.

He could switch tires when he goes off-road and back during the week. That overcomes his argument about throwing away tires

Seems to be that he is beating up his car and expecting the dealer warranty to fix it.

Good luck with that.

His car won't last long. It's not a heavy duty off roader and that's okay with him, for whatever reason.

How does he treat other stuff he owns? Or people in his life?

People do stuff all the time that doesn't seem to make sense. It makes sense to him and that's all that matters (to him).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  3. You can lead a horse to water...

Jim Nazium and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. :rollno:

5. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I bought a used SUV that, it turned out, had a lot of gravel trapped in the highway-type tight tread tires. Prior owner had obviously done a lot of driving on gravel roads. When I started digging out the gravel, I found deep cuts in the tread and pits, indentations, in the casing. The dealer immediately offered to reimburse me 50% on the cost of replacement tires.

I will *not* risk my or my family’s safety driving on obviously damaged tires. :rollno:

TN WOODMAN, MattZilla and S-Bigbottom like this.
  6. Pulling gravel from your tires is a waste of time. It won't improve anything. Either the tires are sound or they aren't. If they are bad, replace them and skip the gravel removal.

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I guess I've been lucky. I've traveled miles upon miles of dirt and gravel roads in my cars with nary a problem. Some of those times I was even driving "enthusiastically" ( ok country bumpkin drifting if I'm honest... but hey, I was a kid and it was my first car ) If continuous leaks are an issue, I would take the vehicle in to a tire dealer, have the tires with rims dunked and checked for pressure leaks in the rim or valve stem. Aside from that it just seems bad luck or, as happens sometimes, bad tires are at fault.

sigterm likes this.
  8. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    The point of removing a half cup of trapped sharp gravel from a highway tire is to inspect for possible tire damage caused by said sharp gravel.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If I have any question about the condition of my tires, they go into the shop. I’ve had a couple of random, unrelated tire emergencies in the last few years that really drove that message home.

10. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Leaving a lot of sharp-edged gravel trapped in your highway tires because nothing bad has happened (yet) is like putting a piece of black tape over the TPMS light so it will also never disturb you.

LiquidMidnight and Oddly like this.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    ax1N7V.

A vehicle's handling, braking capabilities and safety features all depend on a safe set of tires.
    Don't jeopardize your life (or the lives of others) by driving around on worn-out or unsafe tires.

OldDog52, TN WOODMAN and Oddly like this.
  12. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    So you live in the Northwest eh? I'm a life-long Schwab customer!

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't agree with the original argument. Street tires may lack traction on dirt surfaces, but in 50+ years I've never heard of them self-destructing by holding gravel. Drive on the highway and the tires will self-clean as much as they need to. Nossir, I don't believe it.

The original tires may be getting thin, or there may be an inflation problem. For that matter, maybe they're getting sidewall damage.

A CR-V is a passenger car with a SUV body; it's OK on gravel roads, but not off-roading. Try doing that too much and you'll trash the transfer case. But gravel and dirt roads? No problem. Most of the roads in the US were that way for decades, and I grew up driving gravel roads while doing my best NASCAR sideways slide around every corner. Never punctured a tire doing it.

I'd like to know how old those tires are. It may be time for a new set. A standard SUV set would be fine. Those street tires will wear out eventually anyway.

carl h., blastoff99 and sigterm like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. I used to drive an Olds Cutlass with a worn suspension and street tires about 80 mph down the 4 mile gravel curvy road at my family's farm.

Meh. Worry about your own tires. Leave others alone and quit bothering them. They are happy with their car and tires. Don't be "that guy".

Did you used to sell tires, @OldDog52 ? Or did yiur dog get killed by a guy who had a flat? Why are someone else's tires bugging you so much?

Surely, there are things in YOUR life you can stress over so you don't have to get all into someone else's dental tools and gravel? :roflmao:

carl h., Jim Nazium and sigterm like this.
  15. Not as bad as a guy I know who was driving on bald tires in the rain & totaled his vehicle.
    Worst part is that he didn't have full coverage & still owes the bank for the loan.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm a huge fan of Les Schwab. It's the only place we buy tires, get brake work done, and other steering related work.
    Just in the last month, we've outfitted both of our vehicles with new tires from them.
    Great company.

-Mike

17. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Buy tires, get free meat. What's not to love? :)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  18. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    A week ago Monday they had a flat while driving gravel roads. Small puncture repaired.

Sunday they went driving gravel roads. Monday they had enough air loss in two tires to trigger TPMS warnings. No definitive cause noted by tire tech. They’re not concerned and didn’t press the tech for an explanation.

Owner admits tires are full of trapped gravel but tire tech didn’t point to that or anything else as a specific cause (nor did the owner directly ask about it).

Most of that gravel will not pop out on the highway. Some of it in fact just gets embedded deeper. What does pop out will get hurled like a missile at other vehicles hoods and windshields (thank you very much).

No I have never sold tires but I have common sense. If I dig out that gravel and find some sharp jagged pieces embedded deep into the tire casing (not the tread), why, yes, I think that could lead to sudden tire failure.

7AB03C4E-9055-4E87-BED2-A149625FA655.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  19. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @OldDog52 , with all due respect, your friend's an idiot, putting his and his passengers' lives in danger over the cost of new tires.
    From the sounds of it, his tire tech isn't much better.

There's treads on tires for a reason...having them stuffed full of gravel renders them unfit for purpose.

superdick2112 and bholder like this.
  20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I start to worry when the tread is so thin you can see the air inside. :beaver:

carl h., Pilgrim and Funky Ghost like this.