Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When do you first start playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MadPink, Apr 10, 2002.

1. How old was everyone when they first started playing bass? I just turned 18 when I started. I actually went out and bought my bass on the night of my graduation from high school instead of going to the ceremony for handing out diplomas

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I was 12 or 13, about 23 years ago.

3. I was about 20 when I first started playing bass. I was in college and had always liked music. I played trombone in high school band and had been taught that a musician absolutely must read music. I don't know about that as I think I would have learned more tunes by ear (and developed my ear better) if I had just "let go" and tinkered around on the fretboard more. I'm 35 now and still feel that I've just scraped the edge of the tip of the end of the outer part of the iceberg known as bass playing.

Bryan

4. embellisher

Join the club!:)

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I started when I was 13. I'm 19 now. In a couple of months, I will have been playing for 6 years.

6. Man, you really wanted to play bass. Now that think about it, every bass-buying experience I have had has been pretty memorable. Especially the first time I got, what seemed at the time, my first REAL bass.:)

Bryan

7. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    Oh boy, lemme get out the calculator and my toes. I got my first bass at Christmas of 1999. Lets see, that's 2 years of pure enjoyment. Played sax since sixth grade, that's five years, and I've just started playing the guitar. Soon I hope to add piano to my growing (at least I hope) musical ability.

8. oy, you old far... nevermind :D :rolleyes:

anyway.. i got my first on my 18th birtday :) 5..almost 6 years ago.. :D

9. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    old man voice: "when I was a young chap, we didn't have basses. We had pieces of wood as big as a shack with long fat string on it...we called it the.....uh....well I can't really remember but I was young and basses back then didn't even exist...."

I started when I was 12, damn near skipped half of seventh grade to play bass ;)

10. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i got my first bass when i was 11. that was almost 16 years ago.
    i feel old:rolleyes:

11. embellisher

Hey now!:mad: I resemble that remark!:p

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I started to play when I was 15, got my first bass at 16... that was almost 9 years ago... man I'm getting old...

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Started guitar at 14, then jumped to bass 3 years later.

The fact that I started bass a bit late was then balanced by a 50 hour p.week training...

All the best,

14. i got my bass last june and i was 13 its lamost been a year but iv been playin guitar like a year since i started on guitar

15. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    ...and I will be 34 this May.

16. I was about 10 when I first started playing the upright. Started playing electric a little while afterwards.So I've been playng for 4 years.Cause I'm 14 now. Yeah I'm not old!!!!!!!!!

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Depending on who you ask, I may not have started playing it yet.

But if you want to know when I actually bought one, I was 16. That was 16 years ago.

chas

18. DareDevil

DareDevil

Feb 17, 2002
    Southport, FL
    I recieved my first bass when I was 14 on Christmas Eve of 2000 so I've been playing a year and 4 months

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I started when I was 14, September 14, 1997. I´m now almost 19.:)

20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I got a guitar for my 7th birthday almost 40 years ago. I got a bass sometime around 1970. I have never even considered hanging it up; what would I do? Oh yeah, I don't feel old.