1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When do you like Matching Headstocks ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

When do you like Matching Headstocks ?. I think for the most part they look really great on taditional vintage styled instruments and I think they still look good on maple fingerboads.

2. i like them most of the time actually. i dont think that it really looks bad on anything. I wish my stingray had a matching headstock cus i love the color of it so much. And i play a 4003, which i believe all have mathcing headstocks.

i also agree that it looks really nice on older vintage instruments like fenders and such.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I'm weird. I never like matching headstocks.

Well, except in the case of it (the headstock) being natural wood, and the body being a natural finish with a body wood fairly close in color (ash, alder, etc).

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've never seen a matching headstock that I don't like unless I didn't like the body finish in the first place.

5. I think it depends on the color too. I have one Fender in Placid Blue w/ matching headstock and it looks good. But the one I have in Bright Red looks bad (too much red).

And, of course, my Rickenbacker in Black w/ matching headstock also looks great.

6. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I like them when they look cool. Duh!

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pretty much always. It's not a dealbreaker if there isn't one, but if there is, it indicates (to me anyway) that the maker went the extra mile.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Never.

9. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I like 'em on natural finished instruments. Not on color stained instruments.
    Example:
    Picture005.
    Picture012.
    *note, the headstock isn't really that red. It matches the body, just a weird reaction of the camera.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I like the matching headstock when the wood grain of the body is of a particularly beautiful nature.

I am and think I will always be one of those who prefers the natural grain of the wood than a first rate paint job any day.

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think they give basses/guitars a more modern look. however i wouldnt really want it on my jazz. i think it just suits certain instruments and not others.

for examples, ibanezs look really good with matching headstocks

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    +1

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i like headstocks black or natural.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I only like them on dark fingerboards, like rosewood. That goes for painted finishes. I like matching wood tops n stuff on a lot of basses.

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Easy...

Candy apple red, lake placid blue, aztec gold, sherwood green, olympic white, etc., etc., etc. :smug:

16. When it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Or, like this:

[​IMG]

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Only on Jazz types and 'Rays.

19. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Not a fan of matching headstocks, and never with maple fingerboards. Not so bad with dark colored fb.

20. I like them on most Musicman Basses,
    I don't like them on most Fender ones (exceptions like the aerodyne).
    My Ibanez looks pretty nice with some flaming to match the body.