Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When do you pronounce your strings "dead"?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Danko, Feb 23, 2006.

1. I'm currently using a set of previously used Flexocors. They have been used for 2 years before I bought them. I play them for 1 year. How do I know when I need to change them?

They sound quite ok to my ear. E-string is a bit deaf, but I've read in post by Ken Smith that that's probably because it's too thin for the set.

I'm currently looking into other string options, but to be frank, I'm not ready for a change yet.

On BG, my strings go dead on me pretty quickly because I sweat alot. That means ALOT. I guess the Flexocors are now dead as they can ever be because after one year of playing ANY string on bass guitar they would only be a thud.

When do YOU change your strings?

Dank

2. My strings are dead when they won't hold a pitch anymore, the windings come undone, and they have a dull thuddy sound.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    When I can afford a new set.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If they don't intonate consistently, if you tune and then the stopped note is out of tune. I've had Animas on for up to 2 and 1/2 years, Corellis on up to 3, Golden Spirals and Thomastics up to 3...

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I just removed Stringe from an English bass I brought in from London and the Strings were made b4 1990. I also just bought an Italian Bass and the strings on it were from the 70s or 80s.. The OLD Eudoxa Steel with wire wrapped around the silk at the top.

Both these sets still had life in them but are not the exact type or Gauge of Pirastro I use.

6. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    This is always an interesting discussion. I would refer to these other guys, because they are the real experts. However, I change my Spirocores about once a year. When they start to lose punch and pitch center, they have to go. I play pretty hard and I slap, so I may be abusing them. The strings I have on right now sound great playing at home. Nice and mellow. But when I play them hard, they aren't centered. Or I'm crazy. I'm still working that one out:bag:

Jason