Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When does a bass become Sub Contra?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lyle, Apr 2, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Just wondering. Is it when it gets past seven strings, 8+?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    When you have to pay money for special cabinets, strings and pickups. That's when.

# of strings don't matter. You can have 4 string Sub contras, and 11's. It's basically the tuning. I don't know the definite line of subcontraness, but I'm guessing somewhere below the B string.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think it's any bass instrument that goes lower than open B (B-0). JAUQO's four string tuned C#, F#, B and E for example..

4. What exactly does the term 'contra' mean?

5. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Contra means opposite, but contrabass means 1 octave below regular bass range.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think so too. Since Anthony Jackson calls his 6 string a Contrabass, anything that goes below low B is a Sub.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I can only speak for myself,years ago while working on my Idea/Concept/Theory of the Low C# and F# string I thought that since this was going to Be a Bass that would go lower than the Low B string found on the 6 string Bass B E A D G C(Often referred to as a Contra Bass Guitar,meaning lower than the standard 4.the word Contra Bass itself is usually associated with the Upright in Classical terminology)I felt that it was the most logical name for such an Instrument

I hope this helps as well

http://jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_lowc.html

Subcontra Bass C# F# B E anything pass the E(A D G C F etc.)could rightfuly be referred to as an extended range Subcontra Bass:)

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    [​IMG]

that thing on the C# isnt a string dude thats a rope!
    what the gauge of it .200?

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    so it wouldnt be a sub if you steal those special parts :D

10. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Gawd damn... Your C# bass is a sex machine...

Alex

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The Low C# is .195 and the F# is .165

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Could you be more specific?

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Sorry... I posted that very early in the morning, and its even later now - and still no sleep... I rarely make much sense at such times... What I ment to say is that your C# bass is absolutly beautifull, as is your 8 string Adler... What funky controls do the vilex pups have on the 8 string??? That guy is a mad scientist...

cheers

Alex

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A contrabasso is a four or five string instrument that plays below a (five string) cello.
    A subcontra basso is a (string) instrument that plays below the contrabasso. That would mean that anything below B is subcontra, and a clean subcontra would be B, F#, C#, G, etc, if tuned in fours. Oh, my! :eek: (Note that the G is way under 20 Hz, and should be unaudible to most human beings :p )

Just throwing in a remark, for the fun of it. :D

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

The standard tuning for a Cello is C G D A(low to high)the Contra Bass is sometimes referred to as Double Bass and is tuned a octave lower than the standard guitar.the tuning for string instruments has changed considerably over the last few hundred years.I based my Subcontra concept off of the modern electric Bass which is as we all know related to the Double Bass Contra Bass and what ever other name is may be called.
    My instrument is techniccly a Subcontra Bass Bass Guitar
    here is a link that discusses the tuning of the Double Bass and the various changes in its tuning over the years.

http://www.earlybass.com/slatford.htm

My Subcontra Bass Bass Guitar is tuned Low C# F# B E and
    The open Low C# string is 17Hz

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Thanks Alex,I was just curious.I no longer have the Villex pickups in the Adler I had them replaced with Adler pickups,the 8 string has a Auguilar OBP-3 preamp in it,I kept the Villex pickups in my Adler Fretted and fretless Subcontra.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Nice link! Thanks!

17Hz, huh? (Where's the smiley for enormous ear??) :eek:

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

17Hz...that might be an Uber-Brown Note !

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.