1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When Does The Honeymoon End?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, Apr 21, 2006.

1. About a day after the bass arrives

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. After the first change of strings

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. After the first ding in the finish

23 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. When I open the case, and it smells like bar smoke

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. About a month after the bass arrives

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. When I start GAS-ing for another bass

92 vote(s)
    49.7%
  7. The honeymoon will last forever

37 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Other

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Okay Talkbassers, we're always talking about GAS-ing for that certain special bass. We may spend months or years trying to raise the funds, or waiting for that dream instrument to be built.

But now the day has arrived, and you open up the case to unveil the new bass...the GAS-ing is over...and the "Honeymoon" has begun!:hyper:

So I ask you, fellow TBers, "When Does The Honeymoon End?" for you when you get a new bass? A month, a year, or maybe after that first ding?

Make sure to vote!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends. Ive had it last a few months (back in the essex craze days) , a year (my godin <3).

My sterling either never had a honeymoon stage, or it will never end, because i feel the same now that i did when i got it, it is amazing and i cannot find fault in it.

Even though i have a new bass now, the hh sr5, the sterling is still great, not doubt about it.

I guess I am honeymooning with the sr5 right now. Depends what you define as honeymooning. Since it is similiar to the sterling, im already familiar with the quality of EBMM basses so im not awestruck, persay. I am ,though, intrigued by the fact that it is a 5 string and has 2 pups, so it still is new to me in those senses.

So i voted basically for 'until i start gassing for another bass' although for some it never ends.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Depending and how good that new bass meets your expectations. If it is an spectacular bass, the honeymoon never ends. If it falls short, well, it's over pretty soon.

I sometimes might put a particular bass out of circulation, and pick it up again after a few weeks or months, and it's honeymoon time all over again.

We are so romantic.

4. That's a good question. It usually takes me at least a few months for the honeymoon to end (it took 4+ years with my departed Rumblefish). As soon as I have that first thought of selling or trading it because something isn't exactly to my liking, the honeymoon has ended.

5. I voted that it never ends, because although my love may have short lapses when i am gasing for a new bass, I always come back to my Warwick with an open heart. I love my bass because it is MINE and I paid for it with my own hard-earned money. It fits me perfectly, so I guess we're still a-honeymoonin'.
    -Alex

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I voted for "other", as in when the bass starts having headaches when I want to play it, laughing at my gut when we're looking in the mirror, and starts whining for me to take out the trash......:D

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    With SADOWSKY's..... The Honeymoon NEVER Ends!

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    don't forget about the second honeymoon. my ibanez and I got real close after a nice setup and change of strings. amazing, right? not really, but we'll let our minds THINK our bass sucks if we really want to, even if it doesn't.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

When the set up starts to go. :(

10. Everytime I pick up my Zon Sonus I smile... the honeymoon never ends when you've found your match! I have bought several other basses since my Zon and I dig them all but the Zon is the shizznit. Love it, love it, love it!

11. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Basically after the first ding.

The ding for me symbolises the end of the honeymoon and the start of the marriage. Thus far my multiple marraiges are going strong.

12. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    when i got my lakkie 55-94, the honeymoon almost didn't happen.
    it had on hi-beams, i think, and it sounded appalling (to me). i was stressing big time!
    :bawl:
    but then, i got my roto 77's, and it made a world of difference.
    the honeymoon's still happening.
    :hyper:
    i didn't need a slut with a trampstamp; i needed a lady with a sense of values. sometimes a girl just needs the right outfit...:p

13. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    That about sums up my attitude, too.

That's great...do you mean that you still own EVERY bass you ever bought...or is there a messy divorce or two in your past that you'd rather not discuss?:D

14. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I wanted one with no sense of values at all...willing to turn any musical trick for the almighty dollar, ready to bow to the wishes of the most depraved commercial session, and flashy enough to dupe the masses....yet respectable, so that I could bring it home to meet Mom. Mom, meet my new Valenti PJ.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I supose when the bill comes in.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Quick, let's find KayCee a dating forum!:help:

17. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    just because my lady has a sense of values and decorum don't mean she ain't hot in the sack...:D

18. With my Fenders I don't know if will end, but that old saw about familiarity breeding contempt comes to mind... I've gotten disenchanted with plenty of other basses, but once I put my mitts on my Fender Am. Deluxe J, I was pretty much ruined for the basses I had.

19. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    when you start checking out other basses

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If I bought bass "x" for a certain reason: "dig that neck," "man, the neck is sweet," or whatever your personal reasons for buying any bass might be...it's when that bass turns and bites me.
    Like, you finally get it in the studio, and it just don't sit in the mix like you'd hoped. You find it's overpowered or underpowered in it's live voice. You find it's not ergonomically all you'd hoped it would be.

For me, when a bass hit's that point, it's out the door and onto something else for me...