When fender started matching headstock ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daahoud, May 10, 2012.

1. I ve seen some of beautiful gem w head stock matching finish.
    LPB or Red. some whites, too.
    But, When Fender did started it ?
    Hardly found Fender vintage's have it.
    Also FSR (?) has matching headstock on it so I assumed some of vintage have them already.
    And, how about Precision ? I think, never seen it on precision headstock.

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Fender Japan has matching headstocks, as does the Jazz Bass Special (black/black) from late 80's early 90s. Was it a Fender Japan you saw? Or a Lakland?

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, those 80's MIJ Jazz Bass Specials all came with matching colored headstocks, AFAIK... I picked up an '08 MIA FSR Hot Rod Jazz a year ago, and think it's pretty sweet:

IMAG0634.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    That is definitely sweet. What's the Hot Rod have?

5. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I think a remember seeing vintage Jazzmasters and Jaguars with matching headstocks. 64' or 65' maybe. They were marketed as top of the line Fenders back then so that would make sense.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender started it on the Jazz Bass in 1961. And the P didn't get it until the Precision Special in 1980.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Well, it was a limited edition, factory special run - only 215 were made... Special features besides the painted headstock include a nitro finish on the body and neck, SCN pups, an S1 switch, the BAII bridge, and it came in a vintage brown tolex hardshell case from G&G... It's also a '62 reissue - has 60's pup spacing, and body routing - but has the posi-flex rods in the neck...

I might've missed something, but that's the gist of it

- georgestrings

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021