Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When I grow up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, May 9, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Right now I listen to punk/ska/hardcore etc...I was wondering when i grow up,will i still listen to the same music?What do you older TB members have to say about this?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well, when I was a teen, I listened to a fairly wide range of stuff.

I grew up in the 70's listening to my older siblings' stuff like Led Zep, Molly Hatchett, Skinnard, Marshall Tucker from my bros, and my sisters were into Motown. It was all good to me.

My parents were into the classic country stuff, which I also liked.

As a teen in the 80s, I stuck with the LZ, but added Sabbath, Deep Purple and other heavier classic stuff.

Later I got into really heavy stuff like Metallica, Maiden, Slayer, King Diamond, etc.

College was the grunge era Pearl Jam, Nirvana and such. I liked it, but stayed interested in the heavy stuff as well as the classics.

I also got a great cover gig that lead to work doing Chicago R&B and Motown, which I loved and knew well because of my sisters.

Over the years, I have found no interest in re-visiting the fad stuff I was into, but the very early influence stuff like the Southern rock and Motown I still very much enjoy.

Some of it has to do with music itself, but also, the lyric subject matter and the songs stuffed full of profanity and obscenities is something I have no stomach for anymore. Plus it takes about two spins of a tune and my 4-year-old knows every word. I certainly wouldn't want him singing that stuff in the mall, or even around his mother.

Most likely, you will always enjoy some of it and other stuff will make no sense at all to you in a few years.

Chas

3. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Your taste in music will probably change over time.

When you later hear the stuff you like now it will probably trigger all kinds of memories. Also, the music we like in our youth very often becomes a basis for comparisson later on.

4. Well M'boy, (Mike leans against the fireplace mantle and lights his corncob pipe) when I was your age...

This is very good question.

My tastes didn't change that much probably because I was exposed to almost every type of music growing up. My father was big into music and brought home at least one album almost every Friday night. He was into "Easy Listening," :rolleyes: like Ronnie Aldrich and Bert Kampfert, Montovanni and a ton of others, so this stuff was always on. Then he'd get the rest of us whatever we wanted, so there was the top 40 stuff of the day (60s) for my sister, Italian music for my mother (sung in Italian) and whatever my brother and I wanted, which was mostly hard rock.
    I also think that those of us that grew up in the 50s, 60s and 70s had the best music ever put out to use as our frame of reference. This is not a flame at today's music, but, I loved Zeppelin when it came out and so do a lot of kids today.

So, I think the taste of people growing up today is starting to go full circle. I also think that if someone is really into music, you're always looking for something new to listen to just as an avid reader must have that next novel. This is probably why I got into Jazz.

Frankencrow, as an experiment, why don't you try to find a Jazz or Country and Western station and listen to it 1 hour a week just to get a leg up on your friends? Hey, you never know where it could lead. You might meet some gorgeous Southern Belle and hit it off with her because you know some of her music.

Go on, try it. I double dog dare you! :D

Mike J.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I like jazz.Infact, I own 'show of hands' and jacos self-titled which i both like alot.country,no.i cannot stand it.yes ive heard it plenty of times,and still cannot listen to it,i go nuts.especially when i see the commerical for the local country station and hear the song when the guy goes "i wanna talk about meeee!!" and "i like it,i love it,i want some more of it!".ughhh i hate that commercial.

6. i think the real question is, what will the new music that comes out in 15 years sound like?? right now it seems like it's all been done, but i'm sure it also seemed that way in the 70's. any fogeys wanna confirm this?

anyway, i hope i can keep an open mind and be interested in what my kids are listening to.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I still listen occasionally to Guns N Roses, Twisted Sister:)D) and Iron Maiden, I listened to them when I was six.
    When I was 11 I started listening to bands like RHCP, Primus and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I still listen a lot to RHCP and Primus, and I listen occasionally to SRV.

8. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I still listen to some of the music I grew up with, but one of the benefits of getting older (& hopefully wiser ;) ) is being able to broaden my taste in music. When I want to let loose I put on some Motorhead...when I want to chill I put on some Bonnie Raitt etc.

Of course there is some stuff that I look back on and say "What did I ever see in that crap!"

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Frankencow, there is nothing wrong with experimenting with different kinds of music. I used to strictly punk but lately I have been more country influenced. My basslines have become less flashy and more just taken it easy and playing a couple cool fills. This comes from my influence of country.

I also listen to as many different music types as I can. I have been known to jump from Minor Threat to Rush and than Mc Hammer.