Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When I need medical advise, I know where to turn

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Talkbass. I can't see a doctor today because it's saturday, but might pay a visit to the ER.

Symptoms: My left eyelid is swollen to about 3x its size, and it is slightly itchy. There is no discoloration or other symptoms.

Googling reveals possible cellulitus. Does anyone here have experience with similar symptoms? If so, what was your diagnosis? Thanks!

PS: why do these things always have to happen on saturdays??? :(

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Need more details, any discharge or dicoloration, crusting, or any part that feels hard like a zit, any possibility of something under the lid?

Mike

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Spiders or allergic reaction to food?

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Not likely, but certainly possible. I suspect Blepharitis or Hordeolum. Allergic reactions are not usually localized in food allergy. I wouldn't rule out early Chalazion either.

Mike

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My Fiancee's 4 year old little sister just got over her cellulitus, although she was on heavy antibiotics and it cost her parents a $500 trip to the ER. She too had the swollen, itchy eyes. I'm not sure what can happen if left untreated.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dr. Mulcahy....thank you kindly for sharing your wisdom with us.

-Mike

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Try seeing if an optometrist is in today- they'd be much cheaper than going to the doctor, and if it was something minor, they could at least get you some drops. Wal-Mart Vision, EyeMasters, LensCrafters, that sort of thing. Usually about $40-$50. If it is more serious, they'd be able to refer you.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well, ultimately, you can die, but that's a worst case scenario.

Yes, you can die from a zit nowadays. Ah, the wonders of MRSA.

It used to just be in hospitals and nursing homes. Now it's everywhere. If we get a cellulitis patient in, we assume them to MRSA+ until proven otherwise.

MRSA = methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a bad bug. It's really hard to get rid of. And if it gets out of control in your system, it can kill you. I've been seeing a lot of kids come in with it from simple infected bug bites.

9. Thanks for the information. It turns out that it was an alergic reaction with an unknown cause. I was given some Benadryl, and a prescription for Levaquin... (I'll save that for a different thread. If you've heard of the drug before, feel free to comment... I am SEVERELY pissed at the doctor right now.)

It was nothing serious at all, and the swelling's completely gone now! :)

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Its one of those things ya gotta see, but.....if it's a reaction....why the ABX? Sounds like a SWAG to me. But I havent seen it either.

Levaquin is a quinolone antibiotic used in adults to treat lung, sinus, skin, and urinary tract infections caused by certain germs called bacteria. It kills many of the types of bacteria that can infect the lungs, sinuses, skin, and urinary tract and many bacterial infections

Mike

11. That's my concern. First of all, I wonder why I was prescribed an antibiotic at all. But a dangerous, last-resort antibiotic that can have potential irreversable side effects? (Espeically since it turns out that there was no infection at all, and only a "possible early infection" in the diagnosis.) I am allergic to amoxacillin, but something safe such as azithromycin would have been a much better idea than to risk giving me poison in a bottle. If I was exposed to Anthrax or was dying of a serious infection, then sure, bring on the Quinolones, but this was a case of reckless over-prescription. At least some type of warning to the effect of "This drug has a significant risk of causing an ADR of crippling and permanent tendon and CNS damage. Use only when all other treatment has failed." would have been nice.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I agree- Z-packs or even Keflex would have been better. I had a Levaquin scrip once, I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up. When I saw the dangers, I went back to my doc and told him I wouldn't be filling it, could he please write something else. He gave me Keflex (cephalosporin), which worked great.

Too many doctors these days get kickbacks from drug companies for prescribing their drugs. If you see a bunch of people at the pharmacy that you saw at the doctor's, ask what they got. If more than one has the same Rx as you, be suspicious...

Another thing that is bad, IMO, is the TV ads that give little or no info on a drug, but show scenes of a middle-aged couple frolicking in a park. OK, but what does that drug actually DO, besides get people to ask for it by name? Even if it's totally inappropriate for their condition, getting people to demand it at a doctor's office is just plain wrong. :mad:

13. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Is there another type of scenario that death could possibly be?

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Note to self: stop it, no! Bad Toasted.

15. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Wow...now I've seen everything. I guess doctors are bass players too!

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    +1000. MRSA almost killed my wife *twice* last year - it was touch and go each time. Galloping sepsis ain't fun.

Levaquin was the silver bullet each time, but it took two weeks in the hospital the first time and three weeks the second (two of them in ICU), each followed by a month or so of home IV antibiotiocs.

MRSA is a mean mother.

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I cringe whenever I hear somebody takes a couple of antibiotics here and there that they never finished from a previous prescription because of whatever they think requires it. It's like giving an anti-antibiotic vaccine to the bacteria and how we create some of these resistant superbugs like MRSA. Nasty, nasty, nasty stuff... :help: :ninja:

Finish your prescriptions if the instructions say to! :meh:

18. I absolutley agree with what you're saying here, but I am not willing to risk finishing this prescription.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In Austr, that's illegal. It's also common for the pharmacist to ask if you would like to buy a generic brand of the medication prescribed, provided of course there is one available. It takes the incentive out of the kick-back arrangement. Furthermore, doctors very rarely prescribe anti-biotics. There's been much said about the body's ability to become immune to them if over-used.

20. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    As a young child I had a whole load of ear infections and was antibiotic-ed every time. Of course, being a young child it's easy to forget to take the pills once you feel better, so I left many a course of antibiotics only partially complete.

These days I generally stay away from antibiotics if at all possible. A good family doctor should be both willing and able to let you know when the big drugs are necessary and when you can get by on bed rest and chicken noodle soup.

I figure that when the superbugs are taking over the world having a healthy immune system will be more important than getting back to work as soon as possible.

-Nate