when I play on stage, I pull the strings too hard ..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by whitehouse, Jan 21, 2002.

1. when I play on stage, with the entire band, I noticed yesterday that I hit my strings much harder (when I walk over the strings with my 2 fingers)
    then when I practice at home..

do more people do this ?

ehm.grammar stinks this early in the morning :)
  2. Yes, in short.

I've discovered that there's a world of difference between personal practice technique and playing with the band (either rehersal or gig).

The result of 'hard' playing is fatigue of both hands in my case. I've yet to sort myself out to put this right.:(

3. waht is fatique ? sorry.. my english is not that good :)
    maybe it has to do with the fact that I feel not as relaxt as playing at home or that I have to put my amp a bit harder , so I can hear myself much better ??
  4. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    fatigue means to be tired,

maybe you hit the strings a lot harder becasue you are a lot more xcited playing with your band that you would be just playing in your room,
    does playing harder adversly affect your sound?
  5. In short, to be fatigued is to be tired.

As for playing harder on stage than at home...nerves probably has some part to play, but one thing that might help you play softer on stage is to turn your amp up. That way, if you dig in then you'll really be able to hear it, and hopefully play a little lighter.

If that doesn't work...
    I dunno, it worked for me, so I don't know any other methods that might work, maybe some others here have different suggestions. :)
  6. I think nerves has got to do with it..
    and also that I have to watch my volume, becauz the stage where I often play is very bad (if you look at sound balancing on stage etc)
    so that's why I cannot put my amp loud and then I sometimes cannot hear myself like I want to , so maybe that's a factor too !!
  7. I for one most definitely play harder in the live situations. It results in both fatigue and an altered tone. I think it gives more of a thump and harsher tone. It probably translates well into the crowd in a noisy club. In the studio however it would be a different story.

8. I used to... gave me harder sound.. but then i got my current amp who has more volume.. so now i play a lot softer.. sounds better too :)
  9. my amp can play a lot harder..
    i have 150 watjes, my gain is below 1 (my humbucker clips all the time on the Warwick Sweet 15 .. and my Master is always below 4 ..

but because of the noise on stage, I have to take care that I do not put the amp too loud for the others.. :(
  10. I think the point of turning your amp up is so that you watch how hard you play.

That way if you play too hard you'll definitely hear it and hopefully make a conscious effort to play with a softer touch. With your gain at 1 on the amp...I can only begin to imagine how hard you'd have to be plucking the strings...
  11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Actually i used to run sound back in the early 90s for a couple huge clubs! I found that not only bass players but drummers have this problem! And i think about 90 percent of the time it is the diff betwwen the sound! Like you monitor levels and stuff! You get really used to bieng at band practice and you have growned to here one thing more than others and at certain levels! So what you need to do is really think next time you are at practice and try to figure out what you listen to the most when playing your songs and work that out at the live shows! Like if you mainly listen to the drums wich you should as a bass player then you need your sound up a bit in the drumm factory! But overall it has to do with the monitor mix for you! Sometimes you can help yourself out by turning up your amp if you go through a di box! Jst ask your soundman next time! Dont fear the sound man! And sometimes it helps to slip him or her a couple extra dollers from time to time!
  12. I don't know if this helps, but I've played some fairly big outdoor festivals and what has been helpful to me is to realize the audience wants you to be successful. Also, in my mind I try to focus on the song and NOT on my fear.

I also have learned that being yourself is far better that "performing", which has reduced stress for me.
  13. it's maybe not the fear, can it just be that my strings are too high or so ?
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Trust me man its the sound mix! It sounds to me that you are trying to compete with the other instruments! You need to talk with the sound man and get a better mix! Dont fear the sound man!
  15. the ****ty thing is, they do not realy understand the job..I am playing in a church, and we just have to work with the soundman we have...

and opn stage, it's better for me NOT to listen at the sound onstage..(floor mix)
    I am standing besides the drum, and that hard sound is very hard, maybe that's the part ??
    I am also standen next to the guitar player (less then 2 meters) he has is amp playing more in my ear then in his (the amp is blowing the sound under his ear to my ear) ..
  16. I put on one of my friend's leather glove (yeah, that's right, one of those ones from the 80's, without the fingers and the holes over the knuckles...) for one show when my school's Jazz Band played Born to Be Wild, and I swear I nearly pulled those helpless DR High Beams off of La Tigre (an original Fender '62 P-Bass:eek:)...it was a cool effect and left yearning for a pair of those gloves...
  17. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well knock that sh*t off... :)

I used to do this a lot too. I found that it was mostly due to the fact that I couldn't hear myself very good, so I was playing harder to compensate. Turning up my amp, standing further away from my amp (so it's not pointed at my chest and down, I can't hear through my chest :) ), or even having the bastards around me turn down. It all helps. I can tell immediately when I'm playing to hard because my technique gets sloppy and I can't play as fast (16th note octaves get exceedingly difficult at high rates of speed).