Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When I see AABA, what does this mean?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tocoadog, Jul 5, 2005.

1. tocoadog

tocoadog

Apr 10, 2005
    I've seen it written here, but don't understand the nomeclature. Any help?

Thanks for the responses and bandwidth. This site is a beautiful thing.

:)

2. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    they are symbols for each section of the tune.

A - could be verse
    B - Bridge (a different harmonic structure that is happening in the section)

A - verse
    A - verse
    B - bridge
    A - verse

markus huber

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

A could just be verse #1 and B could just be verse #2. There could be a C etc...

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It's better to think of them as different parts of the tune, A may not be the verse, in a lot of standards it's actually the chorus.

5. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    When you see or hear ABBA, it means it's time to get out on the dance floor.

6. It's a traditional song form that many standards are written in, and usually is comprised of 32 measures, each section being 8 measures long.

Play the first section - "A"
    Play the "A" section again
    Play the "B" section (usually the bridge)
    Replay the "A" section.

:)

In Jazz terminoligy each AABA is a "chorus" the first play through uses a written arrangement with the tunes recognizable melody, and is called the "head". The following choruses maintain the tunes harmonic structure and are used as a basis for solos by the various musicians in the group. Each solo is commonly 1 chorus long (though frequently two or more musicians will "trade" solo sections of 2 or 4 measures each during the chorus). Lastly the head is played to end the tune and bring it back to recognizable territory. ;)

When vocals are used the "A" section is most commonly used for a verse, and the "B" Or bridge section is either a bridge or chorus (different term).

Other commonly used song forms are, AABC, AAB, and 12 bar blues. :cool:

...............Jim

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Haha, and booogie on down.. :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Err... I think you're wrong there - I would say it's a case of 10,15 - however many choruses you can get away with !! ;)

I have very rarely been to a Jazz gig and seen a featured soloist just play 1 chorus - but basically it's a question of how long you can hold an audience's attention and how you make a musical statement.

If you're talking about somebody like Wes Montgomery, then we're talking about enthralling an audience over 24 choruses of a Blues in F !

If you're talking about beginners ...then probably 1 chorus is as much as you could hope to get away with!! ;)

9. Of course! ........ I stand humblely corrected ;)

I did mean for beginners it is usually 1 chorus.

I seem to have forgotten where I am. The people I've been playing with lately are stretching the envelope with one chorus over a blues in F :D

...............Jim :cool:

10. hell yes!!!