1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

when i slap on the A & D string an irritating sound comes out.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fredje, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Fredje

Fredje

Mar 26, 2009
    Hey,

Everytime when i'm (trying) to slap on the A & D string and high pitch like noise comes out the moment i strike the string with my sound.

You can compare the sound with the higher pitch a metronome produces at the beginning of a bar.

Am i doing something wrong technically or is it related to something else ?

the E & G string never produce such a sound.

Cheers

2. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you have uncovered pick ups? If so the sound could come from the strings hitting the magnets on the pick ups. This would be caused by the action be lower on the A and the D than the G and the E, the cure would be to adjust action and pick up height accordingly. Of course if you covered pu then I have no idea.

3. Even if they're 'covered' they will make a nasty clacky sound if struck by the strings.

4. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Very true. I don't know what the appropriate terms are I've always just said covered and uncovered.

5. Fredje

Fredje

Mar 26, 2009
    it has nothing to do with the string hitting te pickup, i know the sound it produces but my action is high enough and pickup height is adjust accordingly as well :)

is just a really high pitch that i get :s and it ain't fret buzz either.

6. Try turning the neck pickup off and try again, then turn off the bridge pickup, and do it again. See if it's coming from one or the other.

7. kdjord

kdjord

Apr 29, 2006
    Could be a harmonic popping out. Happens on my bass all the time when I slap. Yes it is super annoying.

8. Fredje

Fredje

Mar 26, 2009
    well both pickups produce the sound so maybe it is like the other guy said, a nasty harmonic popping up

really sucks :s

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do you get it regardless of the fret?

Record it for us. Just slowly and consistantly slap each of the 4 strings 4 or 5 times each and let us hear.

10. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm going with this. Try changing where you slap the string and see if it still happens.

11. Fredje

Fredje

Mar 26, 2009
    well i got nothing here to record it but anyway like slax was saying,i also think it's an harmonic popping out.

the problem is that if i slap the string anywhere between the neck and the first pickup(jazz bass) i get that bloody sound. not always as loud tho