1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When i touch my tone pot it FREAKS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fetusyolk, May 11, 2010.

1. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i've searched the forums (and i'm sure this has been covered 1,000 times- as everything has), but i can't find a thread with the same problem i've run into- which is funny because i've heard of it before. EITHER WAY- i have a Fender Active Deluxe V

noiseless j pups, active preamp (vol, fader, hi lo mid, tone). everything works fine- beautifully playable bass, no electronic problems. until i touch my tone knob. That's when i get a HUGE popping scratching noise. I'm not talking low output scratch, i'm talking monstrous clip-worthy pops. I know NOTHING about wiring - i've gone through the FAQs and schematics, etc. and i can't wrap my head around it- no wires seem to be broken, but then again i don't know exactly what i'm looking at. could anybody help? thank you ahead of time you guys/gals are great :bassist:

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Had the same issue with the blend knob on a Deluxe Active Jazz. Doused the crap out of it with potentiometer cleaner/lubricant spray from Radio Shack. When I say I doused the crap out of it, I mean I really sprayed it heavily. Solved my problem. Don't spray the wood.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean simply touch any part of it, or actually turn it? There's a big difference in diagnosis.

4. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    if i touch any part of the knob- only the tone knob though

5. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    sounds like grounding issues

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Alright, then I don't think the contact cleaner is going to solve your problem. It's probably a ground problem. Make sure all the wires in there are connected like they should be. Do you still get bass sounds through your amp while touching the pot?

7. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Take your amp into a different room and plug in and try the same thing.

My bass does this, but only in my bedroom. Any other room or outside, it won't do this.

8. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    it happens everywhere

9. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    everything is fine but the popping- how do i know if there's a problem with grounding/ how do i solve this issue ? layman terms please

10. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Look at the solder joints on the back of the pot and make sure there is a good ground to it. Also, the pot itself could have failed internally.

11. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    WOW i'd like to thank everyone that helped out with all of my heart. i sealed my baby back up and BAM, no problems!

i didn't do ANYTHING to it- so you were of no help- but i'm sure you would have been! ha! talkbass is magic!

12. so you just looked at it and it stopped doing it?

13. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    yes.:eyebrow:

14. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Could you come over and look at my Peavey Foundation bass?

I made it into a fretless, and now I need to re-radius the fingerboard....maybe if you look at it, I won't have to....:D

15. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    right after i take a look at my other bass that is in the same stages as yours- :p

16. KimblesNimble

KimblesNimble

Jan 10, 2008
    note to self, get radius block

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Of course, he only intimidated it. But I'm sorry to report that sooner or later the problem will return (usually at the worse possible time (big gig, audition etc.) ) If you haven't actually FOUND and REPAIRED the problem it really isn't fixed!

But it does show that something here is loose or shorting or something having to do with stuff crammed in the cavity.

18. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Right. This just means that you've got a loose wire somewhere that fell back into place when you took the bass apart. You still need to find it and permanently attach it. It WILL break contact again.