Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When in Germany ... visit Ritter Basses! [Lots of pics!]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phatlizard, Mar 29, 2004.

1. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    Last week I wrote an email to Jens Ritter to ask him about the prices for his basses.
    I was aware they wouldn't be cheap but we all need dreams from time to time.
    Sure enough a wrote a huge email with tons of questions and I think I mentioned about 4 times that I just startet with the Bass four weeks ago.
    Feels pretty strange to think about an instrument like that and not being able to play it.
    Well he wrote a short note back and asked me to call him so we could discuss a few things. He included a price list and that didn't scare me too much, so I gave it a try.
    What can I say we talked for about an hour - mostly about Mountain-Bikes (my business). He ended up inviting me to his place for the next day as he had just finished the last bass that he wanted to display at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt this week. Once in a year chance to see that many Ritters in one place.
    I only live 50 miles away so no big deal.

Well talk about a trip I will never regret! I am happy I brought the camera with me and took a few pictures. I thought I share it with you guys!

His house is a 300 year old farm right in the middle of town and that is the workshop:

[​IMG]

There were 22 basses in the showroom ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The multi-colored one is the "Birthday Bass" Made last year on Jens's b-day (duh!) when he was already drunk and mixed up some of the colors.

[​IMG]

Okon 5-String with Sims LEDs

[​IMG]

Seal 5-String Fretless

[​IMG]

Nice backs too ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Raptor 5-String fretless

[​IMG]

And the man himself ...

[​IMG]

Ritter Basses

phaty

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    cool. looked like a lot of fun. :cool:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I really dig the look of the Okon! the classic as a great looking bass too!

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Jens is a great guy!!!

i always make a point of hunting him down every NAMM show!!

f

5. Paul Shelby

Paul Shelby

Mar 9, 2004
    that's right fhodshon! jens ritter is really a great guy! I met him at recent NAMM and talk with him almost 2 hours. he’s so different to other builders I met before. enthused like a kid when speaking about his “babies” and so funny. I wish I can visit his workshop one day……
    you are a lucky guy phatlizard living near such an exceptional person.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    WOW. What's the neck wood on this beauty?

[​IMG]

7. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    Maple "Dirty Finish" ... I am thinking about to have my Ritter done with a back like that! Or totally black!

By the way this bass is very light and I fell in love with it (my back is kinda done!) and it hung on me like nothing I ever tried.

Bad thing now is that I really feel like my Warwick Fortress is a piece of trash! :D
    Never try a Ritter if you don't feel like you can ever afford one - it will kill you! There goes the next Summer vacation ...

phaty

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

any pics of the front of this one? Did you play it?

9. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, I've seen those- just the other day in fact. He's got some nice pics on his page!
    Just wondering if you happened to play that 4 string Jupiter, or what the front looked like. That's been one of my favorite models ever.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Paul,

For anyone that turns out instruments as beautiful, wild and creative as Jens, everyone's description of his persona seems to be equally as energetic as his designs.

Heiko and Jens are two cats that I would like to meet in person...

j

12. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    I didn't play it but I check if I took a picture ... give me a few minutes ... ;)

13. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    Yes I did ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Those are the most beautiful instruments I have ever seen in my life.

Knavery

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For those who are interested, Jens will be the next builder profiled in the "Luthiers Spotlight" section of the TB Newsletter. I'll be sending the interveiw off to Paul today. :)

16. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    I want that bass with the build in wireless system ... damn how cool is that!

17. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    :oops:.

beautiful!

18. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Where exactly in Geramany?

19. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    Ritter Bass Guitars
    Bahnhofstr. 12
    67157 Wachenheim

That is close to Bad Dürkheim - not far away from Mannheim, Heidelberg, K-Town, Ramstein ... US Army Folks should find it! ;)

phaty

20. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Damn I'm goin to Germany next month on exchange but I'm way over in Bavaria