Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When is done, done?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JJBluegrasser, Apr 22, 2005.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    Goodness, I'm going to sound like such an idiot for posting this, but here it goes. How do you determine if a set of strings is "dead." I have a two year old set of Spirocore Mittles on my bass and I'm thinking of replacing them. I slap the crap out of them on a regular basis (yes I slap Spirocores and I love them). They don't seem to be holding a good pitch center any more. There seems to be a big difference between the attack pitch and the decay pitch. Is this how you determine the lifetime?

I like the plyability of them at this age, but I'm not sure they sound as good. I should just replace them, but I've heard about people using them for years and years, and I don't want to change them out just for GAS sake.

How do you all normally decide it's time to change out your strings?

Thanks in advance for your comments,
    Jason

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Now is when I change them, and probably before. When my bass loses the nice, wet bottom I stand at alert, and when the pitch gets funny I'm on my way to the store.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you want to be a real bass player, you should change them now but store them away in drawer somewhere.

That way, in a year you can get them out, put them on the bass again and decide they must not have been shot because they sound great!!!! :)

Seriously, with two years of heavy play, they are probably shot. Some will play spiros for a loonnnggg time, but two years is good life.

Mr. P has been using his Spiro B since before I was born.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I used to change my strings alot when playing guitar. I'm with Ray, when it starts to sound bad or you don't like the sound, they're off.

5. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Howdy Folks,
    Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and replaced them and they do indeed seem to play and sound a lot better. I've used 5 or 6 sets of strings now, but I've been so happy with the Spiros as my most recent choice I just didn't want spend the money needlessly. I'm happy focusing on playing instead of gear!

I'm very happy with your excellent advice. Thanks again...

Chasarms, I've put them in a drawer, and I'll let you know when I go back to the old ones:)

Jason

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I generally change strings when the harmonics start to get out of wack. Unfortunately, this does not take long (usually just under a year). The Obligatos that are currently on my bass... when I replace them it will probably have been about 7 months. But they don't last long as a general rule.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My experience has been, when the Obligatos go dead, the Spiros are just about palatable...maybe six months.

My current way of thinking is that the Obligatos sound and feel so great, I don't mind changing them twice a year. It's just a business expense for me anyway, and they give me so much pleasure, I figure that it's worth the short lifespan. I did buy one of Bob G.'s stringwinders, just to ease the pain a bit.

At any rate; I used to be a guitar player as well, so I don't mind changing strings at the rate of every half year. The guitarists in my Gypsy band...those guys spend as much time cranking tuning pegs as they do playing.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a friend who is sort of a hardcore collector along with being a pretty good guitarist. He has a somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 guitars. Needless to say, there are many of them that don't get a great deal of play.

So, he ends up changing the strings every single time he plays them. Good thing I don't have 30 basses.