When is enough, enough?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Jun 24, 2005.

1. I've been a guitarrist since I was about 14, and during that time, Only ever had one guitar, there was no "Main" guitar issue. that was it. I was happy and never had GAS at that time...

now, when I became a bassplayer, I had the same attitude for a while...

but now that im getting deeper into it, I just cant seem to stop craving other basses!

I've always wanted a Jazz Bass, and I got that, and its great, Now I got a fretless as well, and I'm BURNING to get another bass... I only got the fretless about 2 months ago...

Im not exactly swimming on money here, but I find myself figuring out what Im going to do with the next paycheck before I get it.

Right Now, I'm gassing for a stingray, and I think that will satisfy me, but... I thought that when I bought the jazz too...

Is there always a next GAS? Do you guys have this problem? how do you control it?
    If you are one of the lucky ones that have a zillion basses, how do you justify the need to buy another bass to yourself and your wife for example?

ps.: if anybody's got a stingray clone they want to sell (E.U. only) PM me.
  2. The best way to control gas: be a student with no rich parents :D
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I don't visit the basses forum anymore, plus I don't have any money (heck, I don't even have the money to buy new strings).

Helps alot, btw, if you wan't to give your money to me to get rid of the gas, just PM me!
  4. Ummm... Best thing to cure GAS. A Wife and Kids.

I had the same problem, for a while I was happy with my Spector and my Orange combo, Until I started jaming with a loud guitarist... My hand started to really cramp, it was hindering my playing using the Spector as well. So I brought an American Jazz, a new amp and a new cabinet...

- Well now, I pick up another new amp Tomorrow or Monday from Australian Air Express. An 800RB, because I liked the 400RB so much.

- Curently Building and / or Shopping for another cabinet, a 212 or 410

- Looking at a second bass, a P- Bass Custom, P-Bass, Jazz neck etc...

So while I dont have a cure, I feel your pain...
  5. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    Focus on the music. Instead of lusting after new gear, lust after some new technique you'll have to practice to master. Learn new stuff and you'll be surprised at what you can get out of your current gear.
  6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That's the spirit, you'll be fine!

7. +1! My college debt right now seems to out weigh my need for a new bass.... well thats what my parents say anyways.
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The thing about bass is that there's so many things to choose from. For guitar, you have basically humbuckers and single coils. There's the occasional P90s, but you pretty much want a humbucker. Now for bass, you have P, J, Humbuckers (a few different kinds) and you can mix and match! Also, it's hard to choose between a 4, 5, 6, 7, 8+...

At least that's my theory.