When is it time to hang it up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew West, Apr 8, 2002.

1. My last band broke up a year ago. For a while I was helping another band out on bass, but quit that a while back because I wasn't really into the music. I've tried finding a new band to play with for the past few months, but can't find anyone I would want to play with. I've been trying to get something going with a friend of mine (him on bass and me on guitar), but we've been looking for a drummer for four months now.

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm ready to sell off stuff I'm not using and just call it a day. Anyone else here ever had this happen? Does it take longer to find people to play with as you get older, or am I just being too picky?
  2. It's never time to hang it up. Start learning a different style, work on technique...anything, really, just KEEP PLAYING MUSIC.
  3. Maybe I should have added that I don't really enjoy playing in a non-band context. When I'm not in a band, my basses very rarely come out of their cases, and I might spend about an hour a week noodling around on guitar.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I do most of my playing in church. So all the musicians go in a rota and church members keep having children plus new people come in.

It didn't take too much thinking to realise that my days were numbered (nobody wants a fossil up there with new talent coming through).

So 2000 I got a Portastudio so I could make music on my own. The upshot is that I am still playing in church, run my own band and play guitar in it and have had to put a jazz funk trio I play in on hold cos I'm too busy.

I did some demo stuff with a kid drummer who now plays in a nu-metal band (his dad is my bass player).

In your situation I would consider writing a lod of material on your own or with your mate and record it. Keep on looking a for a drummer and dont rush it. I started writing in 2000 formed a band in 2001 and will be gigging soon.

Hope this helps.

5. Matthew, whatever you do, don't give up. I know how frustrating it can be to not be in a band, or to be in one which plays music you're not into.

As for the getting older, I'd have to say that that's true. In my teens and 20s, every other guy I knew played some instrument, but, as we all get older our priorities change; family, career, et cetera, and a lot of people do what you're contemplating. They give up. I don't have a magic answer, but, I would ask you to really think hard about this. The fact that I had my Ibanez Musician always there stopped me from giving up entirely, although I think we all go through dry spells.

Don't quit.
    Mike J.
  6. Don't give up! Once you do it os so hard getting back.

I put my bass away after I moved away from home, and my band broke up. It was about three years before I even thought about my bass after that. I've gotten back into playing, suffered some serious GAS in the meantime. Still looking for a band though. It's going on 4 years since I playind in an actual band. It sux, but you gotta persevere and keep doing it. I don't play in a band, and just noodle around in my computer room, but I won't give it up. I know it might be another 4 years until I find another band. I certainly hope not, but it's a possiblity I'm willing to accept. But I won't quit. I won't make that same mistake.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sometimes, it's good to just step away from the instrument for a little while. BUT DON'T SELL YOUR STUFF. If you are a true musician, you'll start wanting to play again and you will feel fully rejuvenated about music in general. I understand about it being hard to find musicians. I use to think it was easy. Then I learned that forming a band wasn't JUST about getting the most bad*** drummer, or the hottest lead guitar player. For a band to run smoothly, you all must get on the same page, personality wise. I have to feel comfortable with the people I'm with to make good music, and I think a lot of people on the board will agree with me that. Another thing I've found is that a lot of musicians aren't all that dedicated. I understand that some of them have other things they must take care of. (Job, Kids, Car, ect.) But it really sucks not practicing for 2 months, or only playing out once a month because they have other priorities.

My advice, is if you are feeling burnt out, quit trying to get in a band for a couple of months. Work on your technique, do some home recording, ect. Then when you don't feel so cynical, try again.

And as always, being a bassist is great, because no matter where you go, bassist are in short supply and high demand.