Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When is it time to hang it up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew West, Apr 8, 2002.

1. My last band broke up a year ago. For a while I was helping another band out on bass, but quit that a while back because I wasn't really into the music. I've tried finding a new band to play with for the past few months, but can't find anyone I would want to play with. I've been trying to get something going with a friend of mine (him on bass and me on guitar), but we've been looking for a drummer for four months now.

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm ready to sell off stuff I'm not using and just call it a day. Anyone else here ever had this happen? Does it take longer to find people to play with as you get older, or am I just being too picky?

2. It's never time to hang it up. Start learning a different style, work on technique...anything, really, just KEEP PLAYING MUSIC.

3. Maybe I should have added that I don't really enjoy playing in a non-band context. When I'm not in a band, my basses very rarely come out of their cases, and I might spend about an hour a week noodling around on guitar.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I do most of my playing in church. So all the musicians go in a rota and church members keep having children plus new people come in.

It didn't take too much thinking to realise that my days were numbered (nobody wants a fossil up there with new talent coming through).

So 2000 I got a Portastudio so I could make music on my own. The upshot is that I am still playing in church, run my own band and play guitar in it and have had to put a jazz funk trio I play in on hold cos I'm too busy.

I did some demo stuff with a kid drummer who now plays in a nu-metal band (his dad is my bass player).

In your situation I would consider writing a lod of material on your own or with your mate and record it. Keep on looking a for a drummer and dont rush it. I started writing in 2000 formed a band in 2001 and will be gigging soon.

Hope this helps.

5. Matthew, whatever you do, don't give up. I know how frustrating it can be to not be in a band, or to be in one which plays music you're not into.

As for the getting older, I'd have to say that that's true. In my teens and 20s, every other guy I knew played some instrument, but, as we all get older our priorities change; family, career, et cetera, and a lot of people do what you're contemplating. They give up. I don't have a magic answer, but, I would ask you to really think hard about this. The fact that I had my Ibanez Musician always there stopped me from giving up entirely, although I think we all go through dry spells.

Don't quit.
    Mike J.

6. Don't give up! Once you do it os so hard getting back.

I put my bass away after I moved away from home, and my band broke up. It was about three years before I even thought about my bass after that. I've gotten back into playing, suffered some serious GAS in the meantime. Still looking for a band though. It's going on 4 years since I playind in an actual band. It sux, but you gotta persevere and keep doing it. I don't play in a band, and just noodle around in my computer room, but I won't give it up. I know it might be another 4 years until I find another band. I certainly hope not, but it's a possiblity I'm willing to accept. But I won't quit. I won't make that same mistake.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sometimes, it's good to just step away from the instrument for a little while. BUT DON'T SELL YOUR STUFF. If you are a true musician, you'll start wanting to play again and you will feel fully rejuvenated about music in general. I understand about it being hard to find musicians. I use to think it was easy. Then I learned that forming a band wasn't JUST about getting the most bad*** drummer, or the hottest lead guitar player. For a band to run smoothly, you all must get on the same page, personality wise. I have to feel comfortable with the people I'm with to make good music, and I think a lot of people on the board will agree with me that. Another thing I've found is that a lot of musicians aren't all that dedicated. I understand that some of them have other things they must take care of. (Job, Kids, Car, ect.) But it really sucks not practicing for 2 months, or only playing out once a month because they have other priorities.

My advice, is if you are feeling burnt out, quit trying to get in a band for a couple of months. Work on your technique, do some home recording, ect. Then when you don't feel so cynical, try again.

And as always, being a bassist is great, because no matter where you go, bassist are in short supply and high demand.