1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When is it time to jump?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Oct 11, 2010.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just want to take a quick straw poll and see what folks here think. The story:

I joined up with a drummer and guitarist last February. We added a singer/rhythm guitarist about March or April and a female singer (backup and occasional lead) maybe June or so. It's a pretty good group of people and drama-free. However, since the summer I've had this running frustration with the slow pace we seem to be moving at, which mostly seems like the singer's delay learning songs and related issues.

(I've complained about this previously -- http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699348&highlight= and http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665571&highlight= and http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647199&highlight=)

So I started wondering if I should think about moving on. Replied to a CL ad looking for a bassist. It's a cover band doing 90s and current stuff, they say they have two venues they play pretty regularly and looking to expand to play out 3-4 times a month. It would mean picking up a full set list in a month or less with very little overlap from the old one, but mostly not very hard stuff.

In an ideal world I'd like to play in both but don't realistically have the time. So what do you guys think I should go for: my old band, that I like and is familiar, but that is only limping towards playing out, or a new band, with whatever its unknown issues may be, that I could get out with almost immediately?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Has the band addressed the singer about her issues? I would do that first. It does seem she isn't in any rush to get out and perform. Y'all may be better off finding a more productive singer! If not, find another band!

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'd go try out with the new band before deciding. If your the only member that's frustrated with your old bands progress you'll probably never change their laid back pace.

4. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    +1 Even if you don't join them and you like the guys you at least have more contacts for the future. Who knows they may still be looking for the right bassist in another month or two and you are fed up enough to make the jump. I joined an existing band that was looking for a bassist for a year so they had no gigs lined up. But we got things moving very fast. From the time I joined the band we had three full sets down and ready to play out in 6 weeks. We already started lining up gigs before we had all three set lists because we knew how fast we were getting the songs ready. The good thing is many of the songs we have all played before or are easy enough to just play from hearing them in the past.

I'd check into the second band, see how the chemistry feels. You may even want to jam with them a few times. I'm sure they will be happy to have someone sitting in on bass at practice.

5. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Join the second band and let the first come along at its' own pace. Less frustrating for everyone.

6. ^^^ This.

By the time you get tight with the new band, play lots of fun gigs, before you finally find out about all the drama in the new band, and they break up in a massive flaming fireball, the first band might actually be ready to gig...

Randy

7. hrodbert696

Well, I decided to pass on auditioning for the new band. They sent the song list and it was just on the harder, raunchier side of what I would want to commit to playing regularly, and I don't want to jerk them around if I'm not going to commit to them. But I may keep my ear to the ground still.

8. I did time in a band where most of each practice session was spent waiting for one or more of the boys trying to figure out their respective parts. This happens with beginning musicians or when a new song is first introduced to the group. But I've found that delays during band practice often result from someone not practicing their individual parts on their own time. The frustration you're feeling will only build over time if you're always ready to jam while someone else is always not. Being challenged every jam is fun and will make you a better bass player. Gotta stay fresh. Don't stagnate!

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    On the 3rd beat, so that you land on the 4th beat, making your jump super cool in time!

10. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Mostly seems like the singer's delay learning songs and related issues.

That was what happened with my band, lead singer didn't want to learn new material, then she quit.

Sounds like your singer is not into it. Why not get rid of her instead of you quitting

11. Damn...beaten to it. :scowl:

12. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

I'm sort of in the same situation, so I feel your pain. Our issue isn't our singer, but it's still frustrating to practice twice a week without a single gig in the near future. Honestly, I'd quit if I didn't like my bandmates so much.

I started shopping for other projects to get involved in while my current band, and that's done a world of good for me - playing in a punk side project, auditioning for easy paying gigs, even doing some writing on the side. Keeps me fulfilled musically while I'm waiting for things to start picking up with my "main" band.

Just keep an eye on CL for stuff you can do without TOO much commitment - recording projects, jams, even open mics and sit-ins. And be sure to voice your problems, if you can in a professional (or cordial, at least) manner.

Well, if you like your current band, anyway. If you're fed up you could just tell 'em to pack sand.

13. hrodbert696

Well, the singer missed last Saturday's practice. So, the other three of us worked through songs that we (well, the drummer and I, guitarist doesn't sing) could do vocals on. Came up with about eight. I think we have the consensus that gets us to a full set that's about 2/3-3/4 the main vocalist singing stuff he knows, and the drummer and I filling in the rest. If we stick to that plan, we may end up with everybody happy. Crossing fingers for this Saturday...

14. hrodbert696

Making mental note to self to jump every third beat....

Got it, thanks Matt.

15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Its time to jump when you have a better opportunity lined up.

16. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    [​IMG]

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It would be quite spectacular to see someone jump on every third beat as a way of keeping time.

18. If it's just covers and none of these people are long-time friends, I'd bail. Cover gigs are easy to find.