1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When is it time to take a break?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 2behead, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    The band I am playing with has been playing for about a year and a half. We are sick of our set and are wanting to write a entire new set but it seems we are all a bit burnt in general. the songs aren't coming like the were. Our singer and guitarist have both recently "fell in LOVE" and I think they are just distracted. Our drummer and I are talking about just letting things sit for a while instead of beating a dead horse. We have hardly any gigs booked at the moment. like 1-2 a month for the next 3 months. We normally play out 3-6 times a month.
    I guess what I'm asking is, Do you think it is better to power through or just take a break for a while. Play our obligations and any thing that seems like fun we are offered but stop rehearsing/writing till we are all motivated again.

2. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like a good time to improve yourself and your playing. Expand your knowledge and technique and learn some more.

It usually does no good to force something. Find a new focus for a while or maybe a new band. It could be a sub gig or just something to pass the time and give yourself some new experiences.

There is no right answer in this situation. Do what is best for you.

Good luck!

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Are you having a blast playing bass in this band, or is it more like going to a job you don't much like?

If it feels like a job, and it's not your job, then bail.

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    In your shoes I'd keep writing, either by myself or with the drummer. I'd also be actively looking for other groups and sub work.

5. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Stay together but while you're slow find a cover band to stay busy, keep your chops up, make some dough, and have some fun!

6. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    We all love playing in this band. I think we have just hit a slump. We get paid but buy no means can quit our day jobs. That's not why we are doing this any how. Everyone is pretty levelheaded, does there part. no real egos. We have a GOOD live show and I'm not quick to toot my own horn. It is defiantly a case of 4 decent players that come together and make a great band. Best project I have been in by far.
    I play with friends from time to time. Fill in for gigs here and there, and play at home quite a bit. I play bass and/or drums daily. Not worried about keeping "Chops" up. ( not that I have chops to spare. :)
    Wondering if people have had Good/Bad experience with taking some time off to regroup.

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Sounds to me like your OK. I'd just go along with the "slump" for now, and not push to hard. My guess is that the mojo will come back at some point.

8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    When they aren't feeling it, you generally won't make bandmates re-dedicate to a hobby band by pushing them harder or "powering through."

But just chilling in the hope that they come back around doesn't leave the band in a better place if you manage to relaunch.

If one of the key problems is that the band needs more songs, use the down time to write. If your songwriting has gotten stale, also use the time to listen to music that stretches your ears some--and analyze the chord structures and harmonization.

9. pickettj

pickettj

Jun 25, 2011
    I'm gonna +1 this one. I recently hit this patch after a swap in personnel. Everything slowed way down and I was giving serious consideration to a side project while the current one died or until the current one came back to life. Fortunately we finally played our first gig with the change and it breathed new life in to us. Of course we are just a cover band for now but we are writing our own stuff as we go. Just playing covers to get our name out and get some experience (I've only played live twice now).

If I were in your shoes I would, at the very least, be finding someone to jam with. Hell, bass player and drummer still in it? Sounds like an awesome opportunity to me! I love rhythm section practices. We just play the rhythm side of songs. Change tempos. Just jam. It'll keep you playing and strengthen your side of the stage. (I assume all bass players and drummers side against their guitar players :p )

10. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I think if you are feeling burnt out by the band, then it's not a bad idea to take a break. I agree that it's not good to force the process.

I also like the idea of jamming with other people. There was one point where I was jamming with just about anyone that wanted to jam, and it really freshened my perspective on music and how I approach my instrument. It was also a lot of fun, because jam sessions don't have a lot of pressure and everyone's there to have a good time.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Singer and guitarist fell in "LOVE" with each other, or with other someones out there? I haven't been through it, but bandmates dating doesn't bode well for the band to judge by most of the comments I've seen from those who have...

I'd say go on and do your reduced pace of gigs for the next few months, and in the meantime do some side projects. Go to a blues jam. Play an acoustic set with someone. Play some covers. It seems like you'll have the time for those few months.

Then, one of two things will happen: either you'll start really missing writing with this band and get re-energized to play with them again, or else the other projects will take up your attention and you'll feel like this band was a phase that had it's time and now you've moved on. Don't shut this band down for good until you've given it that resting time. See where it goes.