When is it to much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Where do you guys draw the line on having to much bass's? I only have one, im just curious is all. Also what do you find to be bass's that are a must have in someones bass "arsenal" for lack of a better term.
  2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    When I can't clear a path to the fridge.
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I've got 2 and I'm happy with both of em, both 2 totally different instruments. I can play anything I want to on which ever I want (washburn 4 string p bass and a jackson 5 string with an active 2 band pre) Tonally they are different, but I still enjoy the feel and sound I get from em. I'm in the process of getting a better 4 string right now, and I'm looking into getting a fender 60's jazz bass.

I can't say for sure but 4 basses will do it for me I think. There are alot of basses I would like to have (warwicks, spectors, rics, laklands ect) But I think I can maintain myself with just 4. 2 Practice basses and 2 gigging basses?
  4. I currently have 3 basses...(actually 4, but one is in America, but that's a lengthy story)

Anyway...If I could afford it, I'd own about 20...but I realise that 4-5 is probably my practical limit.

And I don't even gig anymore
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have 3 I gig, 1 retired, one collectable. I've had as many as 16 at a time though. I usually own as many as I can afford to own!! LOL I love them. Wish I was wealthy. I'd have 400

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have three that all sound different and I tend to use them for differnt songs, given the chance. Since I play almost exclusivly at churches that chance doesn't happen often. I would like to add a Sadowsky 5 to my collection for the jazz sound.

I currently have:
    Ken Lawrence Brase 5 - fretted
    MTD 535
    Lakland 55-94.

Dan K.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

IMO, the only time you can have too many is if you get to the point where you don't have enough time to play every one of them at least once in a while any more.

Give me about 10 more basses, and I'll let you know when I reach that point. :D
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I also have three, but I could use another, or another 20 or so. If I could afford it, I'd buy two houses, and have one for the music, one for everything else.
  9. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Ok but any idiot with money who likes music would buy a house for only music. So think relisticly. Im just saying what are some bass's that you should own to have a well rounded sound. Like a P-bass is something everyone says you should have. If I had the money I would buy so many bass's I could use some for fire wood. Or I would buy guitars for fire wood...I dont know, you get my point though.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I dont have a p bass

11. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I draw the line when I'm no longer playing them all, and none of them are worth keeping for monetary benefit due to increasing value.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I draw the line when my basses encumber my ability to use somewhat correct spelling and grammar. You need to sell a few basses, my friend.
  13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I only need a few at any one time BUT how many basses someone wants to own is ENTIRELY up to them and no one else. My .02
  14. I got three.

My Jazz and my Stingray 5 give me (pleasure) the tone I want for every song.

Then I have a Steinberger which I don't play much.
  15. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    woah....lol I needed to read that a few times before I got it. I thought I was using half decent grammer? I meen I kood start typen lik dis u no...
  16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You should ask Tom B what is too much when it comes to amps :p

For me, my list is something like this:
    Warwick SSII 4 and 5 Fretted
    Warwick SSII 5 Fretless
    Warwick Affinity
    MusicMan Sterling HH
    Rick 4001
    and something like a Nordie or other custom 6.

7-10 would be the most i'd have at one time I think. Unless I was famous and or rich.
  17. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well, so far all I have is my Ibanez Artcore, and Im probably gonna get an SX bass soon and use that for my onstage bass sinse my ibanez is to big for me to use standing up. And than the only other bass's I want *note how I say only like the cost as much as a deli sandwitch* are a musicman sterling, a rickenbacker 4003, a fender p bass, and a fender i bass...and *gets ready to move* a mark hoppus J-bass. :bag: I really like that bass alot, so im sorry to all the haters out there. :smug:

That probably should do it for me though, maybe in 5 years I'll have all those. Amps for me....I will never be satisfied.

edit - I actually think, that a few sterlings would do it for me. There's nothing I can't get (that I want anyways) from the sterlings I've played at stores I've been at. Do you guys think its a dumb idea to have one as a "beater" and another one for in my house/recording use? Bassicly I would be babying that bass, and the onstage bass would get some dents in it. This is the only solution to me not caring about denting a bass up. Not on purpose of course.
  18. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I recall coming across a page a while ago that had the gear list for one of the bassists from metallica. It had at least 100 basses on it, I almost wanted to faint.
  19. I would probably draw the line at 3 or 4- unless I had a use for all the basses, such as recording, being a profesional bassist etc... But I dont yet, although I'm starting recording soon :)

List So far...
    Fender American Jazz
    Essex P/J-Bass (thinking about hot roding)

I would probably Add...
    a Lakland customish P-Bass w/Jazz neck.
    a Sadowsky NYC

Replace the Essex with a vintage Fender P-Bass, but the Essex feels and sounds good- so I may not even hot rod it, let alone sell it.
  20. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I watched a show once, it was like a diary of metallica. And when they were trying new bassists out, they just go through racks upon racks off bass's, and he's just like, Yeah I'll just try a P-bass. But I mean they had so many it wasn't even funny. I've seen video's of blinks studio, and they have so many acoustic guitars I have no idea what they do with them. they had to have at least 150 of them. And it was a home studio, they were all there guitars. It amazes me sometimes.