Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When is more that 1 dual action truss rod needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 12, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am building a 35" scale 6 string. I will be using laminated hard maple for the neck. Do I need more than a truss rod? Should I do the graphite rods on either side? Is it really necessary? ..tom

2. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I am not sure what the "requirements" are for using dual truss rods. But, I have a Tobias (yes, I know) that has dual truss rods and it sometimes gives me fits. I never can tell if they are working in conjunction with evenly distributed pressure, or if they are off-kilter and tweaking my neck.

For my 2 cents, I would vote for 1 truss rod with the graphite reinforcements. Less hassle but still has the support.

3. I don't know too much about getting it right for tension, but what i've always gone with is what I was told by a good friend and great maker, "Graphite reinforcements... very good... light... tight... right for the job... any job..."
    Of all the bass players i know that use sixers with graphite reinforcements, and there's about 20, none have had problems...
    I'd agree with going for one truss rod, and then graphite reinforcements...

4. I built a 6 string 35" scale with 2 graphite sticks (1/8 x 3/8) and a single stew mac truss rod. The neck does not move, period. Even to adjust the truss rod I have to clamp the neck and then adjust it, because it is too stiff.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Weren't you a bit worried about shaping the rear profile of the neck that you might go through to the graphite? Those are the bigger of the bar sizes aren't they?..t

6. Nope, not at all! and the neck is pretty thin! it shouldn't pose a problem. Also I used a stew mac truss rod on that bass, that is deeper than the LMI ones which are also 3/8".

In summary, they're not needed. To me they're just marketing hype.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I have never tried the LMI truss rods how do they compare?

8. I prefer the lmi truss rod just because it seems sturdier. It looks like it could handle a lot more stress. The only drawback is that it only comes in 1/4" adjustment nut. I wanted to use that spoke nut that stemac has, but I don't like their rods anymore.

Also, the channel depth is a lot less than stew mac's one. And it requires an easy to rout 1/4" width channel. (stew mac uses a weird 17/64" or something like that, for which I had to buy an expensive amana bit, because no other company carried this size ...BTW, stew mac does sell a bit specifically for their rods, but it was even more expensive than the amana).

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Very cool. I may be due for a change. I got you Ken as well. 1 truss rod it is.....t