1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When is the 20% off Sale for MF and GC?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by jmattbassplaya, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Just curious. I received a 20-25% off coupon earlier this week that didn't work for an item I was wanting to buy. I called in and they said that coupon was for "select gear". I know they typically have a day or two where they'll honor the 20% off on just about anything, but I can't remember when that usually is.

2. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Looks like the sale is on but only 15%.

3. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That's what I got too, but I know the good one is coming... just don't know when lol.

4. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Paging @Joe Nerve. I remember you talking about this when you got your Ric, IIRC. Any help? :)

5. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I remember around the end of last year there was a 20% code that worked on Fender stuff. Can't recall the exact date, but MF sales seem pretty random so I'd say just keep an eye on it.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  6. Every coupon I have ever put in on MF tells me that it is not valid on whatever is in my cart......

R&B and petrus61 like this.
  7. Sometimes coupons exclude specific brands. For example, Guitar Center (same company as MF) usually has vast list of exclusions from their coupon code discounts.

8. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    When that happens it usually prompts to chat with a rep or call. That almost always yields a discount offer. I like the chat. For some reason I feel more bold when bargaining through computer vs voice.

I don't think they are doing 20% off as much as they did in the past.

SirMjac28, Jim C and jmattbassplaya like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That and that.

I'm fairly certain they do that because they're not allowed to advertise prices with that big a discount. They've pretty much always honored the discounts with me. Exceptions were for Apple stuff (got an iPad discounted once, and then a manager got in touch with me saying it was a mistake, they couldn't discount it), Stupid Deals of the day, and anything else that's already been discounted. I jumped through a million hoops trying to get them to knock 15% off of already discounted gear and it just wasn't happening. With the right person I was able to sometimes get them to knock the price down 5 or 10% but it honestly wasn't worth the effort.

The 20% thing doesn't come all that often anymore, but I'm pretty sure when it does it's around the big holidays - Christmas and New Years.

After being coached by a very friendly sales girl one time it came down to this. If you're not getting what you want, hang up and call back. If you get the same answer 2X they're probably doing the best they can. The girl told me they had a rock bottom price they could let things go for. Some sales people are willing, others aren't.

What I always do, and I'm in a position where I CAN do it (I have way too many basses and don't really want anymore) is tell them straight out, "I'm interested in purchasing this bass, but only if I can get it with the 20% holiday discount." What usually happens then is they say, "I think we can do that, let me just check with my manager." They put me on hold for a minute or two, and BAM! :) What sucks for me is that often times I'm kinda actually hoping they say, "Sorry, can't do that." I truly believe if they're experienced enough they can tell by our voices whether we're going to buy or not without the discount :).

Last notes - I do remember one time where the person wouldn't give me the full percentage off. If yer on the second call already and see you're not getting anywhere, I'd just ask, "What's the best you can do then?" I think that one time they were running a 15% off sale, and I got 10% off.

Ya might want to check Americanmusical also before making that second call, and telling them you can get 15% - 20% off at Musiciansfriend. I used to do just as well with them as with Musiciansfriend, but at one point it was getting too tough so I just threw the towel in. American musical was the place that dropped the price on a Ric $500 ($1900 to $1400) just by my telling them I could get one for that a MF. He did that immediately, too.

And finally - I never saw a 25% off discount except for very specific gear, ie: Ibanez is doing a blowout sale. Not that I want to bring other companies into this but another online company is advertising HUGE Ibanez discounts. I checked the same basses on MF, and they're a couple of dollars cheaper there :). Ibanez is running the sale, not the online store.

And finally finally - if anyone has fears of receiving returned gear, stuff that isn't brand new - that can and will happen with any online company. It's no worse IMO than buying a guitar in Guitar Center that 200 kids have pulled off the wall and messed around with. If it does, all ya gotta do is call, tell them, and they'll exchange it. No problem. That's happened to me a couple of times and it wasn't an issue at all. I buy TONS of gear though, so I don't think it's something that happens to frequently.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    R&B, BIGEJ2, tlite and 3 others like this.
  10. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    dxb likes this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That place looks an awful lot like MF. Are they doing another Music123 thing there? Skew numbers are even the same at MF.

The codes work, too :)! Almost just bought me an Italia, but thankfully someone here said they weigh a lot which changed my mind instantly. Whew... close one. Though I still don't feel out of the woods yet. They have OTHER basses there, too. And I like 20% off!

R&B likes this.
  12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    WWaB same group as MF.

R&B and Fred312b like this.
  13. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    Looks like some Laklands qualify for the 20% off there.

14. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    As a super happy Lakland Skyline DJ4 owner, those are the most tempting for me!

15. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    The USA’s do too... drool

tlite likes this.
  16. 4 years ago you could email MF and get 20% off whatever you asked about...awesome times!!

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I just put 7 items in a cart and not one of them qualified for any discount
    Stupid Deal of the day is worth checking but I'm not interested in deals on the crap they can't sell.

Mechanical, mrb327 and jmattbassplaya like this.
  18. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Same here.

I've been following their Deal of the Hour today and it has been a major letdown. I don't think they had a single deal regarding basses or bass equipment.

Regarding their discounts, I've had a lot of success just asking for 15% off via their chat feature, but I'm cheap and really want to hit 18 or 20% off.

19. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Just wanted to thank you for your input :)

Joe Nerve likes this.
  20. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    They had a red Hofner Ignition but nothing amazing. Disappointing.