1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When is time to drop the GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is pretty close to where I am already.:( I am literally paying 11K yearly in daycare and after school care as I type.:eek:

2. focus on your playing instead of other basses !!
    I think I am over my GAS once and for all .I have had so many boutique basses , and do you know what , none of them made me a better musician or any happier !
    I was spending so much valuable time (not to mention money) on the net
    looking at beautifully carved pieces of wood !
    Then a friend of mine said to me 'just take one of your basses and give it a chance , learn it,learn how to get every conceivable sound out of it ,MAKE IT YOURS !!!'
    I have been playing my early 70's jazz bass that was lying around during my GAS years ,and am loving it / just a pure and simple passive bass , and I am loving it .

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I've been GAS free for around 6 months. I'm doing a good amount of gigging, and I really have the perfect gear for my gigging needs. I've also been on talkbass ALOT less...I don't know if I've reduced my time on TB because I have less GAS or if it's the other way around! :p

4. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Well, I don't have that big of a gas problem because I just don't have much money to spend on gear, but I would suggest you spend some money on good literature to study. Get a bunch of Aebersolds or the Charlie Parker Omnibook, or both, and make a point to seriously study the material. I think the progress to be made is much more rewarding than any gear purchase.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "I could use another bass, but I don't need one." GAS usually isn't about what we need, its usually about wanting another piece of gear even if the gear we have is more than adequate to get the job done.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know GAS is about wants, not needs. I guess my deeper concern is that I am feeling a little old. I have been in music stores, checking out gear for well over thirty years. There have been times in my life when I got the latest boutique gear, and there have been times when I could barely buy a pack of strings, but I feel that I am too old to hang out GAS-ing at the latest bass or hot combo. I also have family needs that I know will only grow stronger as my children get older.
    I think it would be cool to get another bass and chill, but sounds kind of like a drunk who needs one last drink.:(:oops::D

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Opposite problem...

Both kids gone and now out of the house = Danger Danger Will Robinson

8. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, i thought that my gas was over after the recent purchase of the Lakland 55-02,
    I own 14 basses and 3 uprights , until playing one of Ray Brown's basses in New York
    For sale 12k, Gassing took over again. Recently discovered Dave Pushic Basses ,
    Bottom line there is no need for a anodote you body loves the poison.

9. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, i thought that my gas was over after the recent purchase of the Lakland 55-02,
    I own 14 basses and 3 uprights , until playing one of Ray Brown's basses in New York
    For sale 12k, Gassing took over again. Recently discovered Dave Pushic Basses ,
    Bottom line there is no need for a anodote you body loves the poison.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    ++1000

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    GAS never goes away, but you can ramp it down - by choice or by life - I have. House, kid, another on the way, I need a new car, etc. Your life changes, goes into different stages.

Actually, I am kind of getting tired of trying to always find the last little tweak in my tone that may or may not even be noticeable to anyone - even myself. No one even noticed when I brought my "cheap" bass to a gig after using a Modulus Q5 the previous week. That was kind of the last straw for me. Why am I going through all the hassle, time and money searching for a dream bass when it seems I am already playing it?

12. I'd say the cure is just using your judgment. All of us have hobbies and we spend money on them. Some people take $2000 ski vacations every year - I spend $200 now and then on a bass. As long as I don't do it every month, it's not a problem.

The quote above is telling:
    The fact is that if your bass sounds good, no one knows or cares whether it's a new $5000 Hoo-Hah Deluxilator or a $200 70's Japanese clone from Ebay. Just play stuff that you enjoy and don't worry about the rest.

13. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Funny, I was just thinking about this...

So far this past year I have gotten rid of
    a MIJ Fender Jazz fretless
    a Kramer XL-8
    a Ken Smith Burner 5.

I have picked up
    a ESP 8 string.
    picked up a bunch of parts
    a 2X10 avatar cab

And was going to get a 5 string Spector until ...

my car cr@pped out on me last week. Got me thinking that GAS was bad for me right now. My car has cured me (for the time being).

My wife and I are saving for the kids college, and other unkown stuff, but the car really freaked me out, it was supposed to last 5 more years (at least in my head).

14. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Let me see if I can help...

Victor Wooten said stop going from bass to bass and play the paint off the one you have (which he has done - with remarkable results).

I gave one of my basses to a high profile bass player to play (who shall remain - er nameless) and let me say, my bass will never be the same.

I had NO idea it sounded that good!

I've gone from 12 basses to 6 and the plan is to drop 3 more.

My mission in life is to play the paint off my basses...

Gas cured...

Thanks Vic!

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I believe that was "JTE". A wise saying that I nevertheless have a hard time living up to.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Cheese, you crack me up. You and Tony both. Every so often you both write a thread about how you can't deny your yearning for another piece of gear. I'm not criticizing at all; just chuckling. God knows I feel the same way a lot of the time.

17. Doc - of all the people I've met here - I've always thought you were the King of the GAS ... with a lot of nice stuff to show for it :cool:

You might be able to keep it under control for awhile, but it could flare up at any time! :D

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I don't think it sounds like the drunkard that needs one last drink. Of course the family needs will grow stronger but, there are also lulls in that activity as well. You'll be able to chill with a new bass/amp again the only difference is it will take a little longer to acquire one. Ya have to keep a positive spin on things.

But to answer the threat title of "When is it time to drop GAS?" I would have to say when you finally get the bass/rig that can handle every type of music you regularly play. If your bass/rig can handle rock, country, metal, etc., and every other genre around adequately then its time to drop the gas because you don't need a new bass or amp to do the job. Ya have to be happy with what you have and not try to keep up with the Jones's.

19. I just got back from Hawaii, so my gas has been let out for a bit. In the future I'll get gas when thinking about all these credit cards I just paid all the way off and then the word Sadowsky comes into play, then I'm jones'n all over again.

I'm like you, bought my '08' Jazz last year before the price increase and it plays and sounds as good as anything I could want. I keep thinking I'd like to have another stick, but when I hear my Jazz at a gig, I say why do I need one, it covers it all.

I'm going to get gas just talking about it, so I better stop now.:rolleyes:

20. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area

Sadowskyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Sweet. Unique. Irreplaceable. Sadowskyyyyyyyyyyy