1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When is time to drop the GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    When GAS hits and I think I want to pick up another instrument, I try to hold off for a few weeks and either the GAS goes away or it changes to something else. I know I don't need anything else. I have a lot of nice stuff and should be happy with it (and I am).

I guess the key is to keep busy and not hang around here too much. Practice, gig and do whatever. I think that instrument and amp makers - especially the boutique ones - should be paying TalkBass commission or something. I have bought 6 basses since I obtained my "dream bass"!

2. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I've hit the wall. I have some great gear that does not even get used. I have one great bass that pretty much does it all for me, and I have eventually gone back to it everytime I bought a new one. All my other pretty basses (like 10 of them) just sit in their cases. I have a couple of great amps and several nice ones. I have more gear than I will ever need. I quit, I am just going to play with the best stuff I have and try to sell what I'm not using, if I can. The music comes from inside, all the gear in the world won't help if you don't have a groove or creative spark. GAS is a real obsession disorder, and can devastate you mentally and financially if it gets out of control.

3. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    rather not have too much lying around, too much clunk, too much to think about.

I'll be happy modding my first bass (peavey milestone plays SO well) and keeping it D standard, Using My BTB 450 and maybe down the line getting a Rickenbacker cause it has been my dream bass for a while. After that fini, i'm done.

My rig is complete as a Ashdown mag300 through a yorkville 410b and 115b sweet full stack and WARM tone :D

Effects i got my Big Muff, Morley power wah (oh jeese these are GREAT effects) and for fun sometimes Ibanez flanger/chorus and Dano echo which both sound nice.

Done, all i want is a rick, and even then my BTB handles the band situation VERY well. I'm not one to get a new bass every month, i find you grow a personal attachment to a bass after a while of hard playing on it and gigging. No bass is THAT bass or ever will be, simple. I wouldn't ever sell my btb or milestone, too much attachment.
    Not having that kind of personal connection to youre instrument just feels superficial to me.

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    GAS never dies!!!!

we will always have GAS.... but following what it tells you it's your choice

My dream is to collect basses, to play them too, of course, but I'm a nonworking student and I can't do so now, so I have to face it and live with it, until I can get grip of some money, of course, lol....

I did have a problem with videogames... spending all my money on them... but that's another story :ninja:

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Here's a "secret" many never seem to figure out... you can make your GAS self-sufficient. It really doesn't take a lot of time, money nor effort.

A quick perusal of a few sources on a regular basis, being knowledgable about what you're looking at and in relatively no time you can be up to your ears in free gear. It requires no illegal activity. Call now.

:smug:

Seriously, I've lost track of how much of my gear ultimately cost me nothing*... because of how I got it. If I hadn't been at it so long with so much success I probably wouldn't believe it. It does require that you detach from emotional attachments and look at things through clear eyes.

I have had people upset with me for not passing a crazy deal I found onto them... my standard answer is you should've gotten there before I did. Nothing difficult about that.
    :D

*Sometimes even less;)

6. Yep. Particularly when you live in a country where the RRP's of gear is so high. I usually make money when I try out new gear.

7. The best cure for GAS? Get rid of your internet access so you can't log in to TB and move to a 3rd world country where there's no high end bass shops to go to, not even a GC or Sam Ash.

8. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I'm doing pretty well at killing GAS by simply going back to basics, gear-wise. I'm offing all of my high-end basses and sticking with my trusty soulmates, the '86 Stingray and Mexican-built Fender Jazz. After all is said and done, I'll pick up an old P-Bass and have all my bases (er, basses) covered with three instruments instead of seven.

GAS is different for everyone. With me, it goes with the "one-up" idea. I buy a really cool high-end active bass, but something, somewhere is better. The world of such instruments is so huge that I'd be trapped in GAS-land forever. I'll constantly compete with myself to get better and more expensive basses, even if they don't speak to me. It's ridiculous. However, when I think of old-school basses like Fenders and Stingrays, the picture changes. All the basses are virtually the same, with the exception of color and fingerboard wood. They're bare-bones basic and generally don't cost a fortune, even though they're rugged and reliable, and can be used in literally any imaginable situation. Just find one you like and run with it. There's really no way to "one-up" it because they're all so similar- just planks of wood with basic electronics.

Sorry for the long rant; it's late and the mind wanders :meh: But this is how I'm attempting to beat GAS.

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    lol, "just one more"

10. studio848

studio848 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    SoCal, SWFL
    this post itself proves you'll never be GAS-free...

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One thing that I really have to remind myself is that my GAS has nothing to do with any real musical goals. I am a collector by nature, and I just love to own multiples of anything I like. I like basses that look good and sound good to me, but just because they are cool, not because they give me the tone in my head. I can get a version of that on any bass I like, truth be told.:D

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

13. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    Right now I am "okay" gas wise thanks to IotaNet being patient with me and hooking me up with a sick 55-01. I believe I was pretty much set a few months ago. 55-02/markbass/gs-112 and gs-112nt and it was sonic bless. Let it go to be "more mature" and try to extend some more luxery to fam. It wasnt nessary and in fact we didnt get the house and I am at sqaure one. Now my amp gas is crazy cause I dont have anyting. I have owned 2 lil marks and 2 swr 350s lol. but wonder whats out there. Eden, thunder funk, should I spend the money?

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You need an amp, that is not really GAS, IMO.

15. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    the way I am lusting I would equate to my gas. I could grab the swr 350 for about 200 bucks. Been there..... same with the mark bass great amp..... but I want find myself wanting to get them to try them just like I have with basses. I havent been playing long and I believe I am somewhere around on my 20th bass maybe more. lol and a few combos and rigs under my belt.

And that burning feeling when u let something go for gas..... I miss my acme low-b2, and my 55-02, and my lil mark/ agi rig. but done crying over spiled milk..... someone hand me a towel

16. +1
    Marcus Miller said something similar on his site:

"In any case the most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Do like you said, "Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can"!

and another one from his Bass Musician Magazine interview:

"I'd have to say that part of the answer is that I've never switched instruments. I've never had one bass for this and another for that. I've been playing the same bass for essentially 30 years. If a player has a sound, you'll find that most of the time their particular instrument has always gone along with them. You get to learn your personal instrument well. In my case, I know what that note sounds like on my axe, I know that one will ring, and this one not as much, or it will buzz, whatever. I know my instrument. That just made sense to me after doing so many sessions in New York. I needed one bass that could handle most situations, which a Fender jazz bass does, so my environment kind of forced me into it. "

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm finding marital separation to be a major cure for GAS.

18. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Sig worthy :p

19. I laugh at the guys who 'believe it' when they write;
    "Once I get a ...... bass I'll be cured."
    Any you guys seen the TV show Intervention?
    Cure For GAS?
    When 'the ways out weight the means.'
    I think that's how that old saying goes. But, in english, when what you have to do, work, beg or steal is more than what the satisfaction will be of owning what it is you want.
    So, you have to go to a job to earn the money to buy the bass you want to sit around the house to play. How much time and energy does it take to earn that money. Taking in everything like waking up early, driving, paying for parking, putting up with the BS at work. (Cause if you alive and working there's always BS) Buying lunch, driving home, then to the music store and the time you spent there. All that just so you can sit around and play it.
    It adds up.
    Or a simpler way is the one bass rule.
    Your house is on fire, you've got 30-seconds to grab only one bass and get out of the house to safety before it all crashs down and everything is burned.
    What would that bass be?
    One you own or one you're planning to own?

20. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Concentrate on doing more with less.

Concentrate on doing more with other aspects of music. Gear is just "gear" when you're hell-bent on doing as much with it as you can like booking gigs, promoting and capitalizing and building something based on your talents and abilities.

For me I'm much more satisfied when I know I have less gear that spends more time being used for playing live and recording with it than just having it sit around my house.

For the record....the past two months or so my studio has been in transition. The only pieces of gear I've had access to are my Wunkay fretted and fretless and a GK MB amp. I've found it incredibly rewarding to be able to HAVE to play the same rig day after day; its made me a much better player and listener.

So yeah....there is something to the notion of playing the paint off of something.