1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When it comes to "Parts" Basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billy Low, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Warmoth

71.1%
  2. Allparts

26.7%
  3. Mighty Mite

6.7%
  4. Stew Mac

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Which company do you prefer. Please take in consideration the value aspect in your answer: Are you getting the best bang for your buck? I have seen offerings from all of the above, but I'm curious to see what the general consensus is. If you have one in particular that you do not care for, explain why. Be respectful (its unfortunate that I have to type that, but this is TB)!

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I like Allparts. =]

3. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Any particular reason why? Any experience w/ the other companies?

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    My bass tech is an avid Allparts user, as such, whenever a part on my bass needs to be repaired, he hooks me up with Allparts products. The parts I pay for have usually been sub-$200 for necks and I LOVE how they feel and the wood always looks fantastic.

To answer your second question, though, I've never had any experience with other brands simply because of how great a product Allparts puts out, IMO.

5. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I voted Allparts as well. Warmoth, of course, has much more selection, but are a bit pricey and slow. My last parts build is actually a combination of parts suppliers. Warmoth showcase body. Allparts bound and blocked neck. Pickups from right here on Talkbass. Misc. parts from E-bay. I digress. For a workingman's Jazz or P parts bass. Allparts is cool.

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Stew Mac = Mighty Mite

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    What about USACG?

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would go with USA Custom Guitars and Guitar Mill over Warmoth, though Warmoth makes nice stuff.

Allparts is excellent quality for the $$$, and to be honest, Mighty Mite makes a great neck for cheap, especially after you roll the edges (I don't really dig their bodies though).

All these companies are concerned about quality. The key to having a great "parts bass" is in the planning...knowing what parts work together, what woods to use, what pickguards will fit, what pickups, etc... knowing the details beforehand, so that you can put together a great bass with a minimum of hassle.

9. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Warmoth, for sure, but I also dig Mightymite/StewMac necks.

11. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I'm sorry, I meant to place USA Customs in the poll! Not familiar w/Guitar Mill

Why not? What are the major/minor differences that you have seen in comparison to others?

No argument there.

12. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    i'm a huge fan of warmoth. attention to detail is great. great communication. i also really like the fact that i can call them at any time to check up on my build's progress! (although i've managed to keep from calling them about the neck that they're making right now).

i have 2 warmoth guitars and would gladly post pictures, but their strings are too tiny for most of the people around here :D not to mention there are 6 strings instead of the normal 4 and 5. and my bass will definitely have a warmoth body. i already have an allparts neck for it though, which i'm liking so far. of course i can't TRY the neck since it's not on a body, but it feels great so far

13. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    USA Custom. The best necks.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Well, I just got one of the "new" Mighty Mite bodies. The routing pattern has changed, and with that, Fender and most other pickguards won't fit. I suspect that only Mighty Mite (or custom cut) pickguards will fit. I've tried 3 different cuts of Fender, 1 Allparts, and 1 WD guard....none fit (I have these handy from other projects). REALLY bummed me out.

That being said, the "quality" is very good.

15. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    This is a good topic. That said, please rename the title to something that'll be more easily found with a forum search, like "Which online manufacturer would you buy your body & neck from?"

16. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Warmoth has a great selection to choose from but to me Allparts are truer to Fender specs IMO.

I have a neck from Allparts and it feels great.

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I like to use Fender parts to build parts basses.

18. I've had several Warmoth bodies and they were top-notch. I've not had any experience with replacement necks though, I keep hearing that the Mighty Mite necks are awesome for the price. Guitar Mill makes some really light bodies, which is how I heard about them. They make some really featherweight ones out of Paulownia that are lighter than almost anything else out there.

19. I was going to say that, best bang for the buck necks. I perfer warmoth bodies and allpart necks

20. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Good idea! I really was having trouble coming up with a title! :cool: