When learning, patterns or notes

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Lazurus, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK
    So when your learning, be it as a newbie or a new song for gigging, do you actually learn the notes you are playing as in reading a score. Or do you just play patterns of notes and remember those which suit the rhythm / timing of the song.
    I am torn between learning from sheet music (very limited supplies) or just trying to play beats and walks which fit the song. Sorry for a bit of a newbie question but it is a steep learning curve.........

2. Learn both, in your own time. One will help with the other.

Yes, music is a steep learning curve. It gets easier, be patient with yourself.

Mrmatt1972 likes this.
  3. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Agreed with the doctor. By reading the sheet you will pick up patterns and find yourself playing your favorite ones.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. Always a bit of both. You'll rarely be thinking G G G G C C C C D D D D while playing but when learning a new song it is always useful to know the key, which in turn lets you know which general chord progressions are likely (the old I-IV-V for example)and knowing some common patterns (root fifth alternating, octave runs, boogie blues, whatever)lets you get away with only thinking about note names while you find the chord root notes. Your ears and your fingers will always know music better than your conscious mind.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  5. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK
    There are no short cuts to leaning this beauty are there...... Lol, just hard work and perseverance.

6. TvOZ

TvOZ

Sep 20, 2001
    Melbourne Australia
    Repetition, repetition, bloody repetition!!!!

OK, you need to learn all the stuff mentioned above. I did, and once I knew what notes made up what patterns, I used patterns. I have found playing rockabilly is easy using patterns. I've done a lot of fill ins and the bandleader can yell out the songs key and I'm in. Admittedly Ive been doing it for a long time and all the songs will fit into pattern in my memory. Dont get me wrong either, I mess up a lot too but Ive learned how to cheat.
    Pick one song, a rockabilly standard that everyone plays, say Please Mama Please in the Key of C and figure out the pattern (I, VIm, IV, V) for that song until you have it in your muscle memory. Then try Teenager in Love - whaddya know, same pattern, then start on some others in different keys.

BTW, use as many open strings as you can for the two examples above.
    REgards
    Tony

7. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK
    Thanks for all the advice, I got bloody sore finger to add to my woes..... Lol You gotta love the bass to play it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021