Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When playing finger style....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 26, 2005.

1. I am struggling with the hitting the E string when I play finger style. I like to hit my notes between the P pickup and the neck, deeper less raunchy sound preferred. I Normally play with my thumb on the E string and I am fast everywhere, but when I move up and have to play more than a couple notes on E I sound like crap, the notes are uneven and sloppy. I almostconsidered getting a 5 string just so i could have a thumb rest haha... but I would rather work on my technique.

How can I improve this, is there a certain way my hand should be by the bass when my thumb has no rest? Or am I supposed to be plucking by the bridge, have my thumb on the pickup and problem solved?

Thanks

2. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    You could look into the use of a ramp.

3. one way would be to rest your thumb on the E string when playing the higher strings and rest your thumb against the body just above the E string when playing it, and get used to it.
    another way would be to install a thumb rest. i do not much about thumb rest so you have to inquire some else about that

4. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    I usualy adapt to the bass i play rather than,make the bass adapt to me.