When playing live, do you pace in a certain direction?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mjolnir, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Left

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Right

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No preference

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Carrots!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The thread with the revolving lady in the picture got me thinking about this... Whenever I move around in a practice or gig environment, be it to adjust my amp or just stretch my legs, I turn clockwise. I didn't even realize this until after I saw that lady picture and realized that's why I have to keep shaking out my cable every once and a while when I play because I just coil it up tighter and tighter with each clockwise turn I make.

So how about y'all, any particular direction you turn instinctually?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm not conscious of it, but I do end up spinning my bass to the left a couple few turns to unkink my cable before I put it back on. I must turn to the right somehow........

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I do the unwind the cable routine every once in a while, but I don't know which direction I go.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I generally stand mostly in one place. When I roam, it's just kind of random. "Oh look something shiny! Oh lookie! She's lifting her shirt" kinda deal.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Counterclockwise mostly I think. I'm not an ambiturner.

6. Always to the right. After a couple songs, if I'm really into it, I have about 5 feet of tangle.

7. I sit, so it's a non-issue. :p

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I think it's rather natural to favour turning clockwise if you play right handed. That way you're less likely to bump the head stock into something.

Wireless FTW!

9. Right for the most part.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Me too.

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Wireless systems are a great thing, fellas.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I have this affliction... I cant turn left. Its horrible for my runway career.

13. [​IMG]

14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Clockwise. After years of constantly having to unwind my cable and perpetually vowing to break this habit of turning only to the right, I finally have to admit that I will probably continue to do this as long as I play bass.

15. its a matter of how small the stage is. im always stage right, and sometimes i have no where to go, sometimes ive got miles. i can never stray too far from my mic, im the lynchpin of all the backing vocals.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021