1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When playing this, what should I be doing with my left hand?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Teaboy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Teaboy

Teaboy

Sep 2, 2008
    London
    I've been playing the outro part of The Mars Volta's Viscera Eyes, but I'm not sure which fingers to use and it's making my fingers tired far too quickly.

The tab is like this:
    Code:
    G|---------------|
    D|----5--3-1-----|
    A|---5--3--------|
    E|-35--1-----135-|

I'm using my index finger for the first G and then my ring finger pressed over the E, A and D strings at the fifth fret. I have to press quite hard which is painful after a while.

I do the same for the F arpeggio but as I'm only holding down two strings it doesn't feel uncomfortable.

So my question is, how would you play it? Bonus for YouTube videos :D

2. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    not really familiar with the song, but at a first go...

G|---------------|
    D|----5--3-1-----|
    A|---5--3--------|
    E|-35--1-----135-|
    ---irppirp-i-irp

or
    ---iprpirp-i-iip

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Index Pinky Pinky Pinky G A D G'
    Index Pinky Pinky Index F C F' Eb
    Index Index Pinkey F G A

4. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    you could try open ADG stings instead of the 5th fret on the lower three

5. I find it the easiest using my index for the 1st fret, middle finger for the 3rd fret, and pinky for the 5th. i bar the 5th fret and 3rd fret

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Without knowing the rhythm, it's difficult to recommend fingerings, but the places I indicated in bold above would probably be good places to use the open A string. This would eliminate your problem of having to cover three strings with one finger.

7. id use my 1st finger and 3rd finger for the G A D G, F C F Eb, by barring the A D strings and moving the shape accordingly the final part (F G A) i would use 1st 3rd and the Pinky

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree.