Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When reading the forums...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you only read the posts on the first page of a thread?? Or do you venture on to the 2nd and 3rd pages? I know a lot of people that only read the first page unless they are doing a search and need a lot of info about somethign and this bothers me justtttttt slightly.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    First page threads only.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'll flip a few pages back if I'm looking for a particular article. But there's so much to read in here.
    Sometimes, I even use the "Seach" feature.:eek:

TalkBass.com, the KING of reference books.

4. yes, i only read those on the first page, because chances are i'm here so much i've seen all of those on the other pages.

:rolleyes:

anything else your pickiness?

:p

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can sense a post before it is even posted, so I usually know what's going on anyway :p

I really need a girlfriend :bawl: or a social life for that matter :D

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Have you seen the size of some of these threads?

I read the whole thread to see where the posts have gone before I reply. Why say the same thing that someone else already did?

7. wait, i thought he meant the threads under each forum...

as for the pages of a thread, i try to read them all (unless its a mega thread...) before i post.

8. If the thread is interesting, I'll go to page 2, and if page 2 is interesting, then page 3, etc.

If it is a mega thread (5+ pages), I'll read the first page, then skip to the middle, then the end.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think some of the people are confused about what you mean.

When I read the Forums, I try to read all of the new posts since the last time I logged in. If there is a megathread that I have not read any of, and I want to post in it, I will read the whole thread before posting. That's just common courtesy IMHO.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I thought he meant going to page 2, 3 etc of the list of threads in each forum, not of the pages within a thread.

EDIT: Ah no, I'm wrong, he meant pages within a thread, although that's not what he said originally.

11. If I see a thread that I saw the last time I went on on page 1, I usually won't go to page 2 because there usually is no new material, but there is the occasion that I will jump there. As for threads, I try and read all the pages.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    "New Since Last Login" & I try, if time permits, to read every title & reply to the ones that interest me.

Just out of curiosity, why does it bother you?

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i worded my original post rather wrong *edits* but i meant how many of you read all the posts of a thread before posting to that thread. The reason it bothers me is sometimes people just repeat something thats been said, or point out something wrong aboutthe original post thats already been said, or ask a question thats already been asked and answered.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Alot of times, I can't read the whole thread cause I hear, "Daddy, can I do this", 'Daddy, can you help me", "Daddy, get off the stinking computer already." Occasiomnally, I'm at work reading post where my time is limited because I'm on lunch of just taking a 5 minutes TalkBass break (if people can take a Cigarette break, I'll take a TB break) I can't read the whole thread. I sometime can't even read a whole page.

Also, if people that start thread were clearer, this wouldn't happen. ;)

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    mm.. i just got pwn3d :p
    [​IMG]

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    WORD!

If it s really, really long thread, get a comfotable chair, make yourself a cup of coffee , then read. These long threads are usually the most educational. Either that or they are hilarious..........

17. i just get my post on...

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I went to the 2nd page of the OT forum and found this post, I read the first couple posts(and moley's cause I haven't seen him in a while) and then posted this reply.

so I guess I'm just a little %^@%& now ain't I?:p

19. I agree with Jeff, on all points.

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Australia
    I go to the last posted reply and work backwards if it's interesting. :ninja: