Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When setting the volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aabassist, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Are you "supposed" to turn the gain on full, and then increase the volume knob accordingly? or put the volume on full and adjust the gain?

Just wondering because i put the volume on full and adjust the gain, is that right?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The two volume deal (or master vol) was invented to get 'overdrive' at lower volumes. The idea is that you set the amount of dirt from the gain knob and then set the volume from the master one.

I personally prefer to run the master full or near it and the gain backed off (think gain 9 o clock and master 3 o clock). If it gets too noisy I'll run them both at 12 o clock.

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I tend to set the volume at zero and play the loudest note. I adjust the gain until the preamp clip light barely comes on at that note, then roll it back a tiny bit. Then I set the volume to whatever level I want.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

pretty much, yep

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep Yep, that's the way to get the best signal to noise ratio according to SWR