1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When shimming isnt enough

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have shimmed my bass quite a bit but i still cannot get my action as low as i want it. The neck relief is set properly, nut height is good, but the saddles bottom out before the string is low enough. I want it to come down maybe 2/32" still.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Are you shimming the whole neck pocket or just the end? If you're shimming the whole thing try just shimming the end; that'll increase the neck angle and give you more to work with at the bridge.

3. Are you shimming the entire neck pocket? Shims at the bridge-ward end(w/o any toward the nut)will result in increased neck angle, whereas shimming the whole pocket merely raises the neck.

Edit: Beat me to it! I'm half-awake...

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I just placed a couple strips of purfling at the bridge end of the neck pocket. Even those didnt help much.

5. I have used business cards w/good results. Maybe your stuff is fairly far off..? I'm by no means an expert, & it's impossible to really tell much w/o seeing the bass.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Get a 1/8" or 1/16" thick piece of wood veneer and cut it to fit the whole neck pocket and drill oversized holes for the neck screws.

7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    How about the nut?

Have you taken any material out of the nut slots? Basses come from the factory with the nut cut fairly high to allow "personalized" adjustment by the player.

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Two thirty seconds is quite a bit. That sets off a few red flags. However, you have not provided enough data to allow for an accurate diagnosis.

What is the string height at the twelfth and last fret on both the bass and treble sides?

How much relief is in the neck measured at the seventh fret with a straight edge or at the eighth fret if you are using the strings as a straight edge?

How thick is the current shim and it's dimensions and position in the neck pocket?

Please post the information here and someone will help you.

9. 2/32=1/16 sorry but 2/32 just sounds wrong to me. Its like 4/8" no its 1/2". End pointless post for most I guess.