When should I start worrying about not receiving my Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phishaholik, Jan 7, 2015.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Just curious, anybody know the DC resistance on the J45's? Can they be wired series or parallel or are they not that type of design?

2. Hi mmbongo. The J-45N measures at 20K and around 4H. The J-45L, around 5H, is wound with more turns and thinner gauge wire, so the DC ohms is higher! They're two conductor with an external common ground wire (blue) so you can do multisound wirings with it.

Bill's P-46 pickup is four conductor and can be setup with a series/parallel switch. The P-46 is traditional style, side by side, humbucker versus Bill's J45 Noisefree design.

The last P-46 batch just made and shipped was wound with, and I'll simplify the description, 43 gauge wire. The DC ohms measures over 11k, and the inductance measures around 3.5H. We usually wind them with 42 gauge, measures around 9K and the inductance is around 3.5H. Thought we were out of 42 gauge wire and have been saving the wire boxes for the move. Then I realized yesterday, while shifting them around, that some of the boxes have 42 gauge stored inside!

Thanks,

Becky
    www.billlawrence.com

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Great info, thanks Becky!

4. You're welcome. Also, planning to expand Bill's Microcoil program which will include Jazz bass replacements too!

Becky
    www.billlawrence.com

5. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    The pickups arrived today and they look great. I'll keep y'all informed after I install them this weekend.

Michael

kesslari likes this.
  6. So, this batch (I'm getting one) is wound with more turns of finer wire and has a higher resistance; cool. Right?

Can Becky, or someone else, translate this into an expected performance difference?

Thanks.

7. Sounds like this batch will be the rare 43 gauge edition if Becky and gang go back to the 42 stock.

8. Hi,
    i am a customer from germany. my english is bad, so forgive me ;-) I´ll do my very best...
    Dear Becky, last year i ordered 3 pickpus - L-280SN L-280SM L-290SL, the bill was paid, but the pu´s never arrived. Now i know why ;-) and i am happy to read that everything seams to be ok with you and your business!
    Can you tell me when the pu-package starts the big journey to germany?
    So long!
    Hasso Ritter
    Waldsee
    Germany

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Chris Hass likes this.
  9. vitto

vitto

Feb 18, 2015
    need help what to do. ordered bill lawrence pickups since last december.
    sent them emails, tried calling them, left a message.
    bought pickups through paypal.
    looks like i been ripped off. will have to report this. what a waste of money.
    look so impressive on their website.

10. Did you read the thread at all?

11. Hi Hasso and very sorry for your wait! Working hard to catch up on the back order so please watch late this week or the first of next weekfor a shipping notice via Welcome | USPS Btw, keep me posted how the Noisefrees work!

Becky

12. vitto, I got your voice message this morning and e-mailed back first thing. Sorry for not responding earlier to your e-mails. Btw, I went ahead and refunded you for the order. Please check your Paypal account.

Sincerely,

Becky

13. Hi Becky, thanks for answering. Still waiting - an hoping ... ;-) It´s good to hear from you. Now fasting period started and it´s a good chance to slow down life ;-)
    Sincerly
    Hasso

Can you please post the tracking number if you got one?

14. Jock Snide

Jock Snide

Feb 19, 2015
    ah this explains why I've still not received my XL500L after I ordered it last month. Can't wait til it finally arrives in Scotland!

15. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    Nothing changed here since post #7; still in a holding pattern. I do appreciate Becky updating us with some type of status. It would be helpful to know how "far" the backlog has been caught up. For example, are they now shipping orders placed in November? December?

16. It seems to me that Becky is doing a "One-woman-show", producing amazing pickups and doing office-jobs as well. But i agree, it would help to know the status of backlog. I hope to get a tracking-id from Becky.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  17. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    We can do some backlog math here at our end. It looks like Michael (Phishaholik) the OP's order for one P-46 took about 8 weeks from order placement on the website to date of shipment, then 2 or 3 days for cross country transit.

I ordered a P-46 on the website when they were still listed as "in stock" in late December. I'm coming up on 9 weeks since I placed the order. Longer than the OP waited. Maybe I need to allow for a bit of year end holiday vacation time in there.

If vacation time doesn't factor into the equation and it appears that the backlog wait time is simply growing in length as the weeks go by, then that is a concern. It means that the wait time is a factor that can't be managed or calculated the way things stand.

18. Well, Becky has the status "Gold Supporting Member" in this forum and i hope that she is reading soon what customers are posting here. I understand that backorders are hard to handel but the only thing that people want is to get an meaningful information about there orders and the expected day of shipping.
    So please Becky - give us some informations! Thank you!
    Sincerly

19. Will the P-46 be a drop-in fit for an Epiphone AccuBass Jr.? Its my go-to Pbass clone and sounds and plays WAY better than any cheap econo-bass should. And even better than that after I put in the ToneStyler! I emailed them some time ago (maybe over a year...) and didn't get a definitive reply - asked for dimensions so I could decide whether or not I'd have to re-route the cavity and/or hog out the pick guard.

Any and all replies greatly appreciated.

:bassist::bassist:

20. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    It's great that "Becky" has responded to this thread.
    But I'm going to venture a guess that Becky is getting some help in some aspect of this business. If so I think it would be a good idea to make the fan/customers of the product familiar with the people behind the company. It will only help to gain the customers confidence in the whole process from start to finish.

For instance if there is a person working hard to return email inquiries or winding pickups make the existence of this person known to the customer. Introduce them, even by alias if they prefer. Knowing you have a staff , even if only one person would go a long way to re establishing confidence in many. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but the vision of one person working out straight to keep up with emails, orders,production,shipping, ordering production stock...etc just doesn't instill confidence in the customer.

petrus61 likes this.