Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When should I tell my roommate that I'm leaving?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 4, 2004.

1. I share a one-bedroom apartment with a slob of a roommate in a surprisingly crappy neighborhood* (dozens of car alarms going off and 10+ choppers flying overhead every night, uncollected garbage all over the sidewalks, etc.) and, after only a month here, would like to get out. Odds are, I'll probably go live somewhere over near UCLA, or maybe in Culver City or West L.A. I'd like to be settled in my new place by the first week of April. However, I'm in a one-year lease and it's going to be very hard to find somebody to pick it up since my roommate's a cheap boob and hardly anyone wants to share a bedroom.

How and when should I tell my roommate that I'm getting out? Should I just hold off until the summer, when the housing market gets much more fluid?

*(For those of you who told me "d00d ur g0nn4 b3 IN TEH GH3770" when I said I was moving to Koreatown, this is your opportunity to say "I told you so." :bawl: )

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Personally, I would tell your roomate immediately. This will allow a good amount of time for both of you to look for someone to take your place. Removing one name from a lease and adding another does not always go as easily as you might expect.

You could hold off to the summer, but, if you do not like your situation now, you will most likely hate it by the time June/July rolls around. Doing so may increase your stress level and make life difficult for the next few months.

Good luck!

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Agree 100%, dont hesitate and break it off clean.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The only hesitation I would have is if your roommate is the potential "go crazy" type. If that is the case then I'd only tell him after I had something solidly in place and had all my valuables out of the house.

brad cook

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

He's a college student student he 3 things of importance cds, bass and laptop. Take them with you and call him!!

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree unequivocally. Peter, I've been in your situation before. Tell him right away, be direct and honest. Don't place blame or get into that discussion, it's not worth it.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Another vote for tell him right away. Don't make any enemies in your new town. It may haunt you later.

The toes you step on today may be attached to the person who's behind you have to kiss tomorrow.

-Mike

8. I found out my roommate was dealing meth. I left really fast.

This isn't that bad, but you should leave if your unhappy.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id post my advice but it seems so assinine as everyone else has already stated the same thing.

Peace
    Nick

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    [Yoda voice]

Soon speak up, Smugly Apprentice.

Wait longer you, more problems arise.

[/Yoda voice]

11. G'luck getting out of there.

I thought you said the neighborhood was "pretty decent" at first :meh:

12. Yeah, I was wrong. :meh:

13. Well, I've decided to tell him as soon as I've lined up another place to live. I have a couple of strong leads already and will be getting more as time goes on. I hope to have a lease/agreement signed by the 20th.

Here's the letter I plan to give my roommate as soon as I've done so.

14. Couldn't of said it better.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd do it as soon as possible, so he isn't left screwed. Hopefully there isn't too much red tape getting out of your current lease.

16. I think that as long as somebody's paying the $890/month, my landlord isn't gonna care. The lease is in both my name and my roommate's.

17. $890?!?!

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey now, across the river here in VA, right down the street from where I work, that gets you a STUDIO apartment, not even a single bedroom =0)

I'm paying 2x that on the mortgage of my 1200-sq-ft house!

Peter, I've been in a similar situation before, and even though the "landlord" company said i would be free and clear, when the other party skipped out on the lease, it surfaced on *my* credit report as well later. So be cool with the landlord and get some kind of release of obligation in writing if you can.

19. That's an excellent piece of advice, and one that I will take. I am quite cool with the manager of our complex and I'm sure she will allow me to do so, once a replacement for me has been located.

20. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    you might want to look at other places to live first... cities, housing, pricing... before you tell him.