Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When slapping, which finger do you pop with?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Karma2002, May 28, 2002.

1. Index Finger

54 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. Middle Finger

41 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Ring Finger

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Little Finger

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. All Thumbs

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Karma2002

Karma2002

May 20, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    When slapping, which finger do you pop with?

2. i usually pop with my pinky, ... but i'm wierd

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For single pops mostly index, rarely the middle finger for special lines.
    Multiple pops and flamenco pops it's index, middle and ring.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Middle more than index. I just get my hand into a position when it feels good and it "flows". That and since its the biggest finger i have so it doesnt have to travel as far as the others. I'd like to try and learn with my pinky though

5. although i'm extremely poor at popping and slapping, i pop with my index.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I use middle for the farther strings,and index for the closer strings. Gives much more speed and ease.

7. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I use my index and middle when I do slap or my index middle ring for weird popping lines.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I usually pop with my ring finger, but also with my middle. I pop with my index finger very rarely.

9. Index and middle take turns. Or index, middle, and ring if setting up chord shapes.

10. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I usually pluck with my index, but lately I have been using my index and middle finger to pluck two strings at the same time. Playing fast this way has helped me build greater hand dexterity. Plucking with either finger is also not a problem. I can get some cool tones if the right notes are played together in this manner. I have been known to use my ring finger in an extreme line of music or just to build strength.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i pop with my right hand thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers. just depends on what i'm doing. check out the slap bass program with alexis sklarevski. awesome instructional video.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Word. The best slapping vid around.

13. When I pop, I kinda use everything but my thumb, I didn't notice this until I read this thread.

14. index, middle and sometimes my ring finger

15. Mainly with my middle finger.. but for multistring pops or chords, I use ring on 1st string, middle on 2nd and index in 3rd..

16. I've worked with that video for a nice long time now and still can't really get any of it. Lost cause I guess.

edit: This is in no way a knock on the video. I know from many others here that it is in fact quite good. However, it just didn't help me at all.

17. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Both middle and index depending on how fast the music is.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

sorry to hear that, man....that's like the only source i've learned from in regards to the slap/pop style of playing, with the exception of listening to tunes. keep working at it....i'm sure it will come. :D

19. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I pop with my middle finger. I started out with my index but I found it easier to reach the top strings with my middle finger.

20. I usually alternate between my middle and ring finger