1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When some one says Natural Talent this kid takes the cake.. WOW 13 Years Old

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Im speechless that a 13 year old has such a command of the instrument and not playing the easiest of songs either..

Keep your eye on this kid in the future..

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I played like that in the womb.

Not impressed.

3. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Too bad all the GC kiddies aren't like this.

But we can't get what we demand, now can we?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes he is very, very talented and he has great maturity in the rhythm and dynamics that so many young guitarists lack. He obviously has a lot of dedication and has done a lot of woodshedding as well. Unfortunately there is a long line of talented child blues guitar prodigies even younger than this guy who are at least his equal. Blues guitar is a tough place to distinguish yourself and find your voice IMO. It's just so overdone and crowded. Not to take anything away from him...definitely more talented than I.

bc

5. Lovely playing... I hope he get's on his own track for a lot of time, I wish I could playlike that now that I'm 10 years older...

6. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I was a musical sperm. You all lose.

7. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Too bad he doesn't know who originally recorded Little Wing...

;-)

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Jonas Hellborg's version is 10x better. As is Shawn Lane's!

9. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Very very quality performance. The kid has the earmarks of an excellent musician and guitarist.

But...I try to put things in perspective. The sheet music/tab for SRV's performance has been out for years. So this is a recitation, not an original peformance . I get to see a lot of 13 year olds kick butt on classical or jazz piano, violin, cello etc. from sheet music as well. Again, there is a lot of talent out there.

That said, I was impressed by the fire in his solo. He's got great figers and feel. Would like to see him doing some ensemble /improv work as well. Talent like that should be encouraged and cultivated.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How does it compare to Jonas Hellborg's version when he was 13 years old?

bc

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm not particularly impressed to someone miming along to a cd. Every flub, missed note, and poorly muted string would be a lot more noticeable without SRV playing along.

And,I could play DLR's version of Shy Boy note for note when I was 13 playing along with the tape. It's a little different without the original recording playing.

13 year old blues guitarists who play like SRV? A dime a dozen, really.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, we don't have a recorded version to check! :meh:

However, as has been said, these talented kids are everywhere, playing all sorts of instruments, hence my lack of amazement at seeing another one, considerably less talented than some I have seen.

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If he was 7 or 8 I would be more impressed I guess, one of my old guitar players I think knew most of the Stevie Ray catalog by 15 or 16 and sounded much smoother and fluid.

14. read my sig
    l
    \/

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wow... a SRV clone. Never seen one of those before.

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I wish I could play that well!
    And I'm almost 3X older!

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    There are indeed lots of talented kids nowadays. However, I did enjoy this little guy's playing, and I guess it's easy to tell he's into music for the playing and not for the fame.

More power to him.

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Whatever with all the bashing. :rollno:

He might not be the best thing ever, but there's no doubt he has significant skills. So what if it's in a particular genre of music that you find boring or overplayed, or whatever your gripe is. This kid has obviously put a lot of work into his playing and his musicianship will continue to grow as he gets older.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I didn't think that much of the tune either, very choppy sounding. Could just be a bad cover.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Just curious...were you familiar with the song before you heard it here?