1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When someone asks a question...again.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spent, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I respectfully answer it.

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. I find the previous thread and point the OP to it.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I find the previous thread and point the OP to it, noting "THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I make a useful, snarky comment.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. I ignore it.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've noticed that there seems to be some pent up anger coming out when someone posts a topic that was previously discussed. I've been the target of the "see this post from 1972, we've already discussed it" response once or twice. My motivation for posting a "settled" question is to get some fresh input. Has this been discussed before?

Please note: This is just for fun, I'm not trying to start a flame war.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Try the ********* search function and find out for yourself. :D

3. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Doh! Sorry, should have done that.

4. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah, kind of "damned if you do..." with that one.

Start a new thread and you'll get a myriad of "use the search function" responses.

Continue an existing one and you'll get the "zombie thread" responses.

I think the best way is to start the new thread. Like you said, fresh responses from members who weren't there the first time around, etc. If I have nothing new to contribute to this weeks "Sadowsky vs Fender" (for example) thread I just won't bother looking at it. Definitely don't open the thread just to chastise the OP.

Later
    Rob

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That move is one of my favorites.

The guy goes to the trouble to search, finds something, then continues the related thread, but still catches a bunch of flack, and the flackers have nothing to say other than to feed the guy some crap.

Gotta luv the interwebz.

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I will often link to prior threads if the OP is asking for specific information and the thread I link to contains that information. If the OP is just seeking discussion of a topic that has previously been discussed, I generally will not link to prior threads with similar discussions.

7. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Wow, the whole "Sadowsky vs Fender" discussion sounds like a great idea. Has it ever been posted before?:D

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree; not only do people change, but opinions also. Someone looking back just a few years ago would find that a 4x10 and a 1x15 was thought to be a good combination. You'll get beat down (by the usual suspects) if you try to tell that now.

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It depends on the question. I think it can be good to bring up an old topic so that new people get a chance to comment on it. But you should do your research first. Look at what was posted before. Are you bringing something new to the discussion, or just rehashing what has been posted many times before?

Also, there are some topics that are very divisive. Do you need to know theory, should you play exactly like the original recording, too many notes, original vs. cover bands. I don't see the need to rehash a topic that is guaranteed to turn into a pissing contest.

The search function, and common sense, are your friends.

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You gotta have some fairly thick skin to hang out on the internet. Even if the responder is not trying to be mean, the cold electronic fonts and cryptic, sub-standard language can sound harsher than intended.

Basically, after giving a general answer I might mention the search function for those subjects that I know have a lot of existing discussion. If I'm not busy or I'm in a good mood I might even find a couple of threads or do some other research and post links. Sometimes I don't respond at all. I try to be nice about it. If you don't like it then you can toss off. :spit:

There is no "E: All the above." :D

smiley-signs098.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

11. It depends on the Q.

P or J - ignore
    Best bass for metal - sometimes answer (any will do)
    What kind of strings - answer

Keep in mind there are always new people joining that didn't see previous threads, and I never answer with "do a search", but sometime give a link.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    +1

It really depends. It is a little irksome to have someone start a new thread and ask a question when there is already an active thread discussing the exact same thing.

13. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

A lot of it is just being aware of the "Greater Internet F***wad Theory", meaning anonymity makes otherwise reasonable people complete a**holes. People that may have respect, tact and compassion can and will turn into the most backwards, judgmental and ornery jack-wagons just at the mere sight or sound of a differing opinion. Some say one must be thick-skinned in order to travel these sick and depraved series of tubes, or risk losing their sanity and dropping the contents of their bowels once confronted with the evils of the interwebs.

My advice is to spit in the face of the haters. If they jump on you for reanimating a zombie thread, reanimate ten more. If they crucify you for starting a new thread with an old question, start ten more threads with ten more old questions. Make the haters jump around from thread to thread, spitting their spittle and wringing their hands so tight that they break. Make the haters hate, for that is all that they know. Feed the hate young one, for it shall set you free!

14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

If you feel a thread has been done to death, why click on it? TB is a very friendly helpful place... most of the time. Right now there's a thread going strong on whether or not other forums hate us. A popular theory is the gripes are from people who got banned here and are mad about it. OK. Another theory I have is that one or two of them may have come here, posted a question, and been met with "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" I mean, come on. Is it really worth getting all upset about? Just find a thread that interests you more.

So yeah, I respectfully answer the question. Or I ignore it if I'm bored with the topic.

15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Make a new thread. If someone has a problem with it, that's on them not you.

16. There should be an option along the lines of "I respectfully provide an answer AND point the OP to any previous good thorough threads on the subject"

'Cuz that's what I do.

More often than not, there is a new spin, information, or idea on an old subject that warrants a fresh response, so I do get a little frustrated with the snarky self-appointed moderators on TB.

And every once in awhile there are the topics that have never had, and will never have, anything new to offer. People have a wide range of abilities with the search and research functions. I would advocate a little patience for those who aren't good at (or even lazy about) researching.

17. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Awesome use of the written word! Very colorful.

18. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    True, and I did have more iterations of possible responses, but it was getting a little out of hand.

19. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    There are certain topics that are always going to resurface and making a new member feel like an idiot for creating a new thread on such a topic is not very nice.

20. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I try to respectfully answer the question if I have a worthwhile answer. If something's been thoroughly covered before, I move on. The OP may be new to the medium and will figure things out eventually, when he gets no responses, just as I had to when I was a "noob."

A lot of people who knee-jerk the "do a search" mantra seem to pride themselves on saving the website "bandwidth." If you combined all the wasted space the "do-a-searchers" take up with their snarkiness, it's probably a wash, one to the other.

Answer the question or save your tender fingers and move on, save your precious "bandwidth." I don't need to sift through snooze inducing "do a search" posts any more than I do repetitive thread topics.

Mind your business.