Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHEN SOMEONE MAKES AN ERROR IN SPELLING/GRAMMER

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BONZOBASS, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    Yesterday I posted a thread and in my haste I forgot to properly punctuate my question. Being new to the forums here I was a little perturbed, to say the least, when I was blasted for incorrect grammar. So before any of us decide to make a joke of someone's grammar ,(or lack of), take into consideration how you would feel if it was your first post here and you were blasted for punctuation errors. :bawl: PROBABLY NOT TO GOOD HUH ? So before you write something that may disrespect someone who is not doing it to others, stop and re-think it. I know that there are people who have been here for sometime and enjoy a good ribbing and that's cool, but keep it to the ones who do it back :meh: I'm not trying to stir the pot and don't expect positive feedback, but I just wanted to convey my feelings as "the new guy".

peace

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Cheap shot deleted...

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welkom 2 tallk base!!!!:p Seriously though I've been nailed too and whoever it was that got you, I'm sure did not see that you were new otherwise they might not have ganged up on you so bad. There's a certain bald mutant around here that use to be married to an english teacher and judging your response he's not the only one:D ;) :rolleyes:

Helpful warning though whatever you do shy away from saying Carvins suck, Jaco only needed 4 strings is'nt a 7 an over kill(unless your talking to JT, he hates those things:D), Does'nt yamaha just build motorcycles, or other useless stuff. Unless you have a big brick wall to jump behind when the flaming begins........

4. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    We don't expect everyone to have perfect spelling, but I think making posts readable is a matter of respect for other members. If you can't take an extra two seconds to add a couple periods to your post, thus making it comprehensible, why should we take a considerable amount of our time to decipher your post and type out the answer you want in a manner that is readable and comprehensible?

Show us a little courtesy and we'll show you some back.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    There. I think I've fixed it. :D :D :D

HAHAHA!!! Don't take it too rough my friend. We all get a good reaming from time to time here.

6. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I am the world's worst speller. No, the world's worst typist. I type so fast that I *always* misspell stuff. I know how to spell, I just hide it well.

But I have a thing called ieSpell, which is a spellchecker add-on for Internet Explorer - allows you to spellcheck fill-in forms (like on forums, eBay postings, etc). Very cool.

You can get it free at ieSpell.com.

7. ineal... you missed a comma. i'll let the grammer nazi's hunt for it.

hey bonzobass, don't worry about it. just take some time... bounce around the site... you'll learn what to expect from which posters eventually.

crap! i almost hit the submit button with "bonzoass" on there. that wouldn't have been too nice.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    oh man thats harsh! people correcting spelling/grammar on the very post complaining about people correcting spelling/grammar! And never checking to see if there were any mistakes on that post! haha!

you'll get used to it soon enough.....but until then, try to use better english....even if just for the sake of not having anyone complain about it.

what really bothers me is people who use letters to replace words.... those ppl r st00pid.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    :D Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention. :D

HEIL! HEIL! :D

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Damnit! This is the second thread in two minutes where Killdar beats me to it! :D

It's grammar, not grammer, okey?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe Jarrod has hit the nail on the head, in relation to the beast that is the English language.

12. It's "grammar" with an "a". And an apostrophe and the letter "s" signifies possession, not a plural.

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    muhahaha!!

14. *repeatedly boxing my own ears with giant english 101 textbooks*

I DON'T DESERVE TO BREATHE THE AIR OF NORMAL HUMANS!!!

by the way, is this gonna get moved out of "basses"?

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dude, punctuation goes inside the quotation marks. I.E "Basses?"

;):D

16. *kills self in face..... HARD*

17. Fleckbass211

Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Talkbass is awesome. But there are plenty of flamers who just go around causing trouble. It is a punctuation error, does that effect you? If so, then you have serious problems with how laid back you are.

This does not refer to punctuation but more of all the other stuff like this that goes on. By the time all the arguing is finished no one has even talked about the topic...

But it is respectful to do this to your ability. Is in annoying when sum1 types like dis yo

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Not necessarily, and in this instance 3 crotch grabs' usage of the quotation marks is correct.

19. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    This is fun, right? I do have a useful suggestion. If you know your spelling and grammar isn't good, then why not just "copy" and "paste" it into Word or something similar and run it through the spelling and grammar checker? It would certainly make for easier reading of posts. :cool:

20. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Who you callin' a faq?

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.