When someone smashes your band's equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Well, I just found out that this week some people went into our chapel and smashed a bunch of our music equipment. We aren't yet sure when it was done, who did it, or why.

They kicked in both speakers on one of our guitarists amps, a Marshall. They stomped the other amp's footswitch hard enough to significantly dent the metal chasis and destroy its functionality, also a Marshall. They tried to kick in the speaker of my CXL-112, but they weren't able to get through the metal grill. They dented it up significantly, but luckily it didn't dent enough to hit the coax.

This was blatantly malicious. They didn't steal any of the $4k worth of stuff and they didn't touch the drums, keyboard or the PA equipment. They just destroyed or tried to destroy the amps. We are pretty sure that it had to be Cadets from here at the College. We had the MPs come and take pictures and filed a report. This probably won't get anything, but we hope that with the small campus (1000 people) someone will hear something and tell one of us.

It is hard to understand what someone would gain from smashing the amps at all. There is really nobody here that would have a reason to smash our stuff because they dislike us, so we think. It also doesn't appear to be against the chapel itself, as they only smashed the amps, which don't belong to the chapel. We are now going to have to move the amps back and forth from our rooms every Sunday, which is far and no fun, but we can't lock the chapel, as people use it for prayer throughout the week.

I just can't figure it out, they came into a church to smash this stuff. People never cease to disappoint me.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, that is pretty horrible. Like you said, people will never cease to dissapoint. But remember, what they do will come back and kick them in the butt... it always does.

Is there a storage closet or back room in or near chapel that doesnt get used? You could put the amps in there and lock them in there...

Then again, if there was, you guys would probably be using that already, so never mind.

Bummer about the gear:( Good thing about the front grill though! Is everything damaged easily replaceable/repairable?

I hope they get caught, whoever they were.
  3. Lots of, too much.....

But then, did they have no respect for a church?
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    When people are drunk, they don't have respect for anything.
  5. My guess is that a few people were really drunk and decided that they wanted to smash something, and figured that nobody would catch them if they went into a church. (Churches aren't exactly bumping on Friday and Saturday nights.)
  6. Well, all we really know is that it was done between last Sunday and 7:00pm Friday.

There is no storage there, the Chapel is on the third floor of the building which also houses the Messes and dining halls. The Protestant and Catholic chapels are the only things on the third floor, so they obviously planned to do this. No one just goes up there unless they are going into one of the chapels.

We are hoping it gets around by word of mouth.

7. Might someone have been jealous of you, for whatever reason? Or your guitarist, and they couldn't tell the difference between your amp and you guitarists?
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'm not even religious and I have enough respect to be a good boy in a religioius place, even if I'm drunk. The person or people who did this seem pretty much on the same level as mildew in my shower.
  9. I suppose it is possible. Some people resent me and possibly one of the guitarists because we tend to score high in Academics, Physical fitness and Military training. It isn't because we beat them, it's because we are "keen".

Oh no, competence in the military, who would want that?:confused:

Still, this resentment isn't that big, I have only heard it from one of two people and I tend to talk to a lot of the people in the 3rd year class, so I don't think that is the reason.

It is possible, this really doesn't make too much sense in the first place.

10. Are you part of the Royal Military College? Kinda ironic that there would be vandalism at a church AND a military college, where discipline is emphasized.
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yup. I guess we were lucky to leave our gear in and practice in a room that only our guitar player and the minister had keys to.

Best of luck, Geoff, in finding the little bastards who did that and seeking recompensation, if you can.
  12. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    plain and simple...stupidity
  13. Irony at its worst...

14. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    People are dicks. Stupidity is another common trait.
  15. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    what a bunch of wankers....
  16. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, my bet's on stupidity.

If they were capable of expressing themselves another way, they would.

Sorry to hear about it, Geoff.