1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When starting a band, do you immediately "click"?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by paganjack, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Yep. Day one.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. At some point it gets really fun...

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Did for a while...then KABOOM!!!

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Not really ever. I keep things strictly professional.

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking for/starting a band since I recently moved and it got me wondering about this. For the bands you've been in (that you really liked) did you feel it right away? Did it take time for you to find that the band was working well? Did you click with the music/other players right away only to have a falling out later?

The last band I was in that I really liked, it took some time to get musically good. I felt like I taught the other members more than I was learning from them. However, we all became good friends. Later on, I had a jazz/fusion gig for a while and I really liked how I was the one getting schooled but of course the shows were never quite as packed and I felt more like co-workers with the guys :ninja:

What are your experiences?

2. With most of the musicians I play with regularly there is a certain chemistry, I like what they do and visa versa.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i voted "click" right away, but then i realized you were talking more about personalities. musically it has to click from the get go for me to be interested. personality-wise it doesn't always click quickly like that.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Honestly the only band I've ever been in where I loved the members like family (minus my high school's band and jazz band) was the first band I ever joined/started up with my friends. Coincidently, all the guys in that band were also in the school's band with me, and it was dominantly an originals band because we weren't good enough yet to cover many songs.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have been in 5 bands in the last 9 years. I just got back to playing music 10 years ago and its been a great ride. One thing I know from any other activity/groups I have been involved with is you have to enjoy "The hang" or folks you play with and being around while doing it. We cant always choose who we work with and we know if you have a good work relationship with co-workers it makes your job better. Working with a bunch of idiots means stress and you might need to get out of that job even if you like it.

I used to have a list before I would go into a band or try out to see If I even fit or they (band) were right for me. Some here think its too much and over the top and thats great. I only left one band in the 5 on bad terms and that was due to the guitarist having a major attitude that came on over a year after I was in the band. I found out later it was fueled by addiction to pain meds. He and I talk now and then and I even went back a few years ago and did some shows when they were looking for a new bass player.

You have to enjoy the hang IMO and the music. If the hang is good and the music is so-so I could even deal with that if the gigs were good etc. I played country music for close to 2 years and the hang was good music.. Ok, some good some I didnt like and I like country. I left the band to go with the project and band I am in today on very good terms with the bandleader since we remain friends and liked each other over and beyond the music.
    I dont care how great the music is If I dont like the cat's playing it and we cant get along ...Im out! That is unless its a big $$ pro deal then I can get tude and act like an a## like them for the bucks...like thats going to happen ;)

6. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    I've been in a couple bands where I felt like it wasn't working at all on the first day, but things quickly got better. Don't be too quick to judge on the first jam session. Give it a few jams, and if things don't seem any better, bail.

7. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    There was potential for "Clickage" right away. but within a few jams it was obvious:bassist:

8. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

I guess it's like anything else, if your backgrounds are similar, age, finances, music tastes,gender... clicking will be easier.

9. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I havent been in to many, but the one i am in now, started with a friend and myself. Once the two us figured what we wanted we have been trying to fill roles musically with people we could see being our friends.

You dont have to be our friend to be in it, you need to click musically, with the potential of hangingout afterwards.

Once you get into the common ground its easier, kinda like buds at work. Not best friends for life right away, but someone you can work with, write with and respect. Then drink with.

10. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    If you can't be friends with your band mates, for me that just takes away from the fun of writing/performing music. I voted "click" right away with my band mates, because if I end up not liking them, I don't make any sort of musical project with them.

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Well....IMO..

If its right, you may not notice right away....

If its wrong, you'll know it right away.

Then again, I spose if its perfect, you may also notice right away, like love at first sight or whatev...but I dont think "love at 1st sight exists"...but LUST at 1st sight...well..thats another story.

12. The band I'm in now started off very professional. Just show up, practice and leave. With very little chit chat in between. It took a few months for it to get really fun. Now, I wouldn't want to be in another band. These guys are great!