1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When switching from fingering to slapping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mjordan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mjordan

Mjordan

May 12, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm thinking about getting a EBS Multi Compressor, and BOSS Bass Equalizer.

But I guess I'll be using different compressor setting and equalizer setting for fingering and slapping. If I play live, I don't have time to change the setting of both my compressor and equalizer since they are not programmable. They only store one setting.

How do you guys solve this problem?

2. I've used a POD Pro. You can program a slap tone on one setting and a fingerstyle on another and then just store them next to each other.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One approach is to go all-digital, like GB suggests there. Another is to get two of everything. Another, more practical, is to set your bass and amp up for good fingerstyle tone without the pedals engaged, and set the pedals up for the (probably) more exaggerated settings you'd use for slap. Yes, in that case the "slap" EQ will be "on top of" the fingerstyle EQ, but you can work with that.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    +1 to Bongo's suggestion. I'd set your amp up for a fingerstyle tone, and then adjust the EQ pedal for slap.

Of course, when doing so, you'll need to keep in mind what frequencies you cut/boosted on your amp for fingerstyle, and compensate as needed when tweaking the EQ pedal.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

+1.

If it is really important to you, buy 2 pre-amps or whatever device you are comfortable with and just switch at the flick of a switch.

I have a friend that plays slap and top 40 and had issues switching back and forth between 2 totally different tones. His solution? He bought 2 used SansAmp RBIs and just hits a button to turn one off, hits another to turn the other on and off he goes. I think he paid under $500 for both RBIs. Expensive, but works/sounds amazing.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Hmm... he should've probably looked into the PSA instead. It'd have been cheaper, and it's programmable for guitar and bass.

However, the control scheme is certainly different than what you'd find on the RBI.