1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When the Budget/Backup Bass You Bought Becomes Your Main Player....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ever happen to you? I bought this bass several months ago simply because it was for sale locally at a great price (and that I also love MIJ instruments). Never intended for it to become my number one as I have several other basses that cost much, much more and are more highly regarded, etc.

Well this bass just does EVERYTHING right. Plays soooo well. Just effortless. Extremely low action and super comfy neck. Just as important is the tone. Just perfection (IMHO). Previous owner had gutted the passive controls in favor of a EMG 2-band pre. I'm usually a 3-band guy, but this just works so well.

I can't say that I love the looks of it, but it checks all other boxes (including being light weight). So how about you? Have you ever experienced this? If so, let's see those pics!!!!

IMG_20181015_174521__01. IMG_20181015_174510__01. IMG_20181015_174603__01. IMG_20181015_174516__01.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    JoshS, Novarocker, Ks68jazz and 27 others like this.
  2. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    Kind of.... but more out of necessity, I have a few high dollar 4 strings, but I always grab my Squier VM jazz V for gigs mainly because I need/want the LOW B. so rather than taking 2 basses. I just grab the squire

Quadzilla likes this.
  3. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    This was my bass I believe! Prior to the pre amp. Awesome bass! C79DEDBD-B5AB-4036-A46C-CC00D9C65359.

squeakyd, TL23NC, Novarocker and 19 others like this.
  4. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    But is it the best bass for metal?

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    To reply to the OP's question, yes.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've always thought these were a step or two up from budget basses.
    Other than that, it looks great, certainly not the usual run-of-the-mill textbook copy.

7. Quadzilla

Bought it from a guy in Wash, DC. Did you sell it to somebody there?

faulknersj and pjbassist like this.
  8. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    no Kentucky but I believe since then that guy put it on reverb

faulknersj and pjbassist like this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I had a $199 Ibanez as my #1 for about 6 months. Since then it's become part of the regular rotation of gigging basses, along side others costing 5x more.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've bought four used basses just this year - a MIM FSR Fender P bass, Sterling Ray34, a G&L Tribute SB2 and a Peavey Fury. The Peavey Fury was bought at a consignment store for $100 including a peavey hard case. It needed some work but was playable - it required a couple of new pots, there was some rust on the chrome and needed a setup. I had bought a complete Squier CV P bass pickup/wiring harness for $25 and was going to use the wiring for the Fury and the pickups on another project of mine. The Fury pickup seems decent but to me, it sounded a little on the bright side (this could have just been because of the tone pot that needed replacing and not the pickup itself, I don't know) but on a lark and before I did any soldering of the wiring harness to the Fury pickup, I thought I'd transfer the complete CV pickup and wiring on the Fury and see how it played. My goodness, the bass sounded great and with that sweet Peavey neck! I didn't want to change anything so I left the CV parts intact. After cleaning it and setting it up, it really turned out to be the best sounding/playing bass of the four I have bought this year. I love my other basses mind you, but that Fury was such an unexpected and most pleasant surprise and the one I seem to play the most these days.
    48385603_501744290315416_3488630543870853120_n.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That looks like a very well put together bass, budget or not.

Quadzilla likes this.
  12. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Sometime shortly after I started having kids all my basses became budget/backup, simply bc I couldn't afford the more expensive US-made/boutique stuff.:) I actually haven't owned an all-US bass since around 2002. That being said, I take them to an insanely good tech when they need a little work and to me they sound and feel as good as some costing 3-4x more. My workhorse 5 is an L-2500 that needs little help being pretty badass.

Quadzilla likes this.
  13. I bought an SX Jazz Short Scale once, years ago, as a backup for my Musicmaster. That SX was a fantastic bass and I found myself playing it at least 1/2 the night at every gig.

Kind of miss that bass. So in answer to the original question, yes.

Quadzilla likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

My Peavey Fury was only $65 because of its mangled pickguard, but it does P-bass thing just fine to my ears.

Ks68jazz, DaDo625, tjh and 4 others like this.
  15. Goat of Ball St

Goat of Ball St

Jul 26, 2016
    The Fujigen made instrument are a steal, my main guitar is a house brand by Fujigen and it's one of the best playing strats I've ever played. Does your bass have the CFS system?

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    play the bass that comes alive in your hands.

I have 2 jaguar basses that I really wanted to like because they are so cool looking, but I didn't really like either. Both are parts basses and both are active 5 string basses. Well I swapped necks, one was fretless with a rosewood board and one was fretted with a maple board. There were some problems because the footprint of the heels are different … well I solved that problem, and now both basses sound a lot better.

Then I have a few Frankensteined SG basses and one of them just sings to me when I play it.

b%20651.

All 3 are cheap basses that I love to play … My Rickenbackers and my jazz and p-bass are't getting much playing time these days.

123Nil, MynameisMe and Quadzilla like this.
  17. Quadzilla

Yes, it says that it has C.F.S. installed (stamped on the back of the headstock). Although, admittedly, I have no idea what that is... ;-)

pjbassist likes this.
  18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Yes....Sire V7 > Fender American Deluxe Jazz

Nice bass you got there, btw

Quadzilla likes this.
  19. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    MIM Fender Jazz, bought it for $95. Did a little upgrade with some DiMarzio pups I've had forever.
    It's been my main instrument for several years now.

Quadzilla likes this.
  20. Goat of Ball St

Goat of Ball St

Jul 26, 2016
    CFS is "Circular Fretting System" which seems to be Fujigen's proprietary thing. As far as I understand it's a tempered fretting system to get better intonation across all the strings. The frets are slightly curved rather than flat. I can't actually say it works better than a traditional guitar but my strat does intonate very well so there's that.

I should add though that my strat with the cfs just feels great even if it's a subtle difference and maybe that's why your bass feels effortless to play.

Attached Files:

• cfs.
      cfs.gif
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    mikewalker likes this.