1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When the Budget/Backup Bass You Bought Becomes Your Main Player....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well whadoyaknow! Added bonus! I know that she plays crazy-great and intonates wonderfully, so the technology works! Only thing that scares me is when it comes time for a refret.

2. Goat of Ball St

Goat of Ball St

Jul 26, 2016
    That's my biggest concern as well, but I got my strat in Japan used for about $200 USD so at worse I can find a another one :thumbsup:

Quadzilla likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Bought a Yamaha BB 350 on a whim one day, it was beat up and super cheap price so couldn't pass it up. Took it home and set it up with new strings and gave it a little home made art to cover up scratches and what not, danged if it didn't become my main player for a bunch of years. I gave it to my nephew eventually so its still in the family so to speak, better than selling it.

4. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Palm Bay FL
    Very nice looking bass looks well built i like the multile neck bolts too

5. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I bought a Spector Legend used online as a backup for my Ric 4001. It became my main gigging bass for over five years. I ended up buying another Legend and eventually a Euro, which became my main bass for another five years. The Euro would still be my main bass, but I formed a progressive band 18 months ago and use a Carvin LB76w for it. I still Pick up that old Legend from time to time, great sounding and great playing bass.

6. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Happened to me. I thought I had my number 1 bass, a Hofner. Then I stumbled across an interesting used (hitherto unknown-to-me model) bass at the local shop. I liked it and the price was right, so I bought it...soon, the Aria Pro II was going to all the gigs, and the Hofner was staying home. About a year later, I sold my Hofner and the less expensive Aria Pro II is now my one and only.

squeakyd, JoshS, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  7. Quadzilla

Pretty cool as I have a 1981 Aria Pro II that's in my top 3.

IMG_20181028_200323__01.

8. Quadzilla

Updated my post with a pic of it. Look above .

squeakyd and fermata like this.
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I almost bought one of those Fujis, cool looking!!

Quadzilla likes this.
  10. When the Budget/Backup Bass You Bought Becomes Your Main Player....

.... then you are on the threshold of true inner peace.

I sold my Bongo, bought an Allen Woody, and I haven't looked back.

JRA, 123Nil, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  11. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    My main was a brand new '15 US Fender Bass, purchased in October of that year. Shortly after, I came across an '89 G&L L-2000 at a pawnshop. Given their extraordinary reputation here, I had to get it.

The Fender is now gone, the G&L is my #1. I've taken it to many gigs, including one on a mountain and across the country to Nashville, TN. It's been a great couple years and I intend to keep it going forever.
    20180818_194558.

JoshS and mikewalker like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Maybe not my main player. Nut the Squier Matt Freeman Precision I bought sight unseen from Sweetwater just to check it out is easily my favorite PB out of all the PBs (and there have been several other “real Fenders” over the years) I’ve ever owned.

13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Yeah, I have a Schecter Model T Session that I take out to gigs all the time. I do have a nicer bass that cost three times the money, but I see no reason to risk losing that one in most situations, when I have a budget bass that plays almost as well. Plus, it looks cool. So there's that :)

When I really need to do fancy fingerwork I bring the nicer one with the lower action, but most shows, nope.

mikewalker likes this.
  14. Nothing will ever replace my #1 but I did pick up a bass for $60 that became my number two! Lol. Plays awesome, low action.... I threw a set of old fender p pickups in it that I had laying around. I originally just bought it because it was the first bass I owned as a kid but now it is my drop d bass for all shows.

20181228_142731. 20181228_142833.

mikewalker and MynameisMe like this.
  15. MynameisMe

MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    North Florida
    My $200 MIM p bass that I replaced the pick ups and pickguard and is my favorite bass to play almost any time. I have an American Standard Jazz that just sits in the case. Of course I have five basses and pretty much play them all.

16. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    No one in the crowd of 50 people in the bar you're playing to, who are there to drink and listen to background music, is going to know, or care about the difference between your $200 "backup" bass and your $2k "main" bass. Unless you are playing good sized clubs and selling tickets with your band name on them and people are paying to come see you play, it really doesn't matter. Play what you like.

17. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I don’t know about FGN J Standard models, but the quality of the Expert models from their MJ (“Mighty Jazz”) series is amazing, so I can certainly relate to you experience! Mine turned out to be on par with the best production basses I’ve ever played and it is worthy of being anyone’s #1:
    D9B4C363-0C3A-4B10-86BA-145FBB2DDEAC.
    2C8E4FE5-E910-4D60-AF5B-76B67BA04877. 983B6446-DECC-4AA9-BB3E-9D307C9AFB51. 64B65283-1973-40C8-B583-CD01B2EA9A24.

18. All of my basses have different purposes so they all get about the same playtime. I do find I stick to the 800-1000 dollar range now though. I'd like to get another gibson down the line but right now I don't have a reason to. Maybe if I had pricier basses I would practice more! 20190123_192353.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. Yep, just last year. Wanted to venture into the medium scale realm at a relatively low price. Now my HH Stingray, as awesome as it is, mostly resides in it's case now more often than not..

Quadzilla and fermata like this.
  20. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    When the Budget/Backup Bass You Bought Becomes Your Main Player....

Time to buy a new backup...;)

Good Luck!

Dr. Cheese, mikewalker and Cutter8 like this.