1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When the GAS runs out... - A discussion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rratajski, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    So...
    We see a pedal, we dream about it, we're impulsive and want it right now...GAS. Ugh.

I've had a few big bouts of GAS in the last couple of years. Two turned out to be great (EHX BMS and HOG).

I had crazy GAS that subsided in about a month's time for a Blue Berry OD, Devi Ever Dark Boost, and MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. Thank God (or wife) that I didn't jump on these. The baby comes first and my tone is killer these days, if I must say so myself.

So, up for discussion: What pedal(s) have you GAS'd over, never bought, and you are HAPPY that your GAS sputtered out?

2. This can apply for quite a few.

The HOG was a big one, and I am so glad I never got that. I'm not in a band like that.

The Whammy, although I still kinda want one of those.

And that's about it. I GASed pretty hard for an Envelope filter for a while, and then I got the Rocktron Heart Attack, and that was solved.

:meh: can't come up with anything else at the moment.

3. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    VT Bass (eventually, I found that I want a mid-bump, tube-screamer OD, not an Ampeg-sound)
    MXR Bass Auto-Q (a combination of different pedals got the sound I wanted it for)
    Phase 90 - (I haven't been wanting to do the phaser thing for a few months. When I do, I'll take my PH-3 back from my buddy)
    Whammy or PS-5 - I have given up on pitch-shifting an octave-up. Instead, I go high and use my OC-3 for the octave-down

the list goes on. Right now, I'm holding out against EBS Multi-Comp GAS. So far, so good.

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    When the gas runs out, there's always evilBay or Craig's thingie.

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Doesn't that just stir the GAS pot more? haha

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    If I am really hung up on a pedal but know I shouldn't be buying one, I'll eventually just tell myself that I'll only buy it if I find it used in the TB Classifieds. Of course, as soon as I make that decision, one pops up. Still, I can usually flip everything for the same price I paid and then I'm only out the shipping costs. $8-$12 to try out a pedal I've really been GASsing for is a pretty good deal IMO.

7. I almost brought a blueberry until I realized that I didn't have the money or the need for yet another OD

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    HOg was one of those that i was like "omg, that's cool" but i'm glad i didn't. there's quite a few pedals out there i'm happy without :)

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Hey I'm think'n here...........

But what if down the road I change my mind get a resurgence of GAS for one that I stopped having GAS for?

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    as long as there are new products i doubt the GAS will end. but now as i'm finding that simplicity is usually key.....i try to limit myself and not go overboard.

11. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Oh, yes. I do have a lot of experience in this field. It is because of some sense of control, combined with time, that has saved me hundreds of dollars. Here's but a smattering of my vented GAS:

1. EHX Small Clone
    2. EHX Graphic Fuzz
    3. Way Huge Swollen Pickle Mk. II
    4. Digitech Whammy IV

I have a sneaking suspicion that the following pedals will follow suit:

1. Fulltone CFV-2
    2. MXR Phase 100
    3. EHX Stereo Polyphase
    4. EHX HOG
    5. Chicago Iron Parachute

12. ^ since my wife won't know how to sell it all or for how much... I'll just be burried with it all! :)

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I've tried that a few times and every time I end up rebelling against my self and ending up even more overboard:D

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    me too!! :crying: I made a promise to myself not to buy anymore pedals after the Pitchfactor so I can finally save up for a new car....

But I do want the Malekko 919.....

damnit! :crying::crying:

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Is it wrong for me to have Gas for pedals I don't even like?:meh:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never used to get GAS because I had no money for it. Now that I'm older, have more disposable income, and hang out way too much on TB, I see that I'm getting a little too careless about buying stuff. Bought a Whammy Pedal, which is a cool pedal that after a couple hours of working with it, I discovered I have pretty much zero use for it other than an occasional atmospheric thing (which hardly ever happens in my bands) and an occasional bombastic ending.

However, not 5 minutes ago I just picked up a couple gigs this weekend with an old friend and we'll be doing some harder rock stuff and a couple of tuned down songs, so maybe that Whammy Pedal will come in handy ;)

17. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Probably, but don't feel left out. I had that for the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe last month.

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    After decades of filling 16-space racks and floors with pedals and boxes, the V-Bass turned it around for me about six-years ago. Still enjoying it as a practical tool and an exploration of sonics. Other than the two DSPs/Speaker Management Systems (one for bass rig, one for PA) I don't think I've snagged anything else since early 2003, though I've listened to a fair number of other gadgets.

Just came up with a cool complex multifiltered patch today that made musically applicable sounds I could never get a grip on previously. Now I need to go looking for another three-piece band that lets me use the stuff to heart's content. Or maybe I should do bassndrums.

19. I have an example that just came about in the last few days. For a while, I've been GASing on the Subdecay Prometheus, pretty much solely for the step filter. I resisted it, even though I was pretty sure I would eventually cave.

Well, recently I realized I would need a whammy for a gig coming up this summer, so I ended up getting an old XP-200 modded to an XP-1000. In addition to filling my whammy needs, I also realized this weekend that the space station has an arpeggiator mode that completely negates my want for the prometheus.

GAS averted!

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    They got Tchoupitoulas in Rhode Island?

Sweet.